What do you think about my approach, using Equinox 600?

cheshireblack

Apr 2, 2018
Placer California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Relatively new to detecting, just purchased my first "real" detector (Equinox 600). I'm not trying to start any controversy, just hoping to get confirmation that my approach seems at least reasonable? I'm sure everyone is well acquainted with the specs/features by now so I'll just summarize my approach below (at least during the 6 hours I have on the machine so far):

If not in a park or on a beach I select field (usually I'll use the 2nd mode of any profile I select). I will auto-noise cancel before moving on by holding the detector about 3-4' above ground. Next I'll complete a ground balance (auto function). I'll set volume, and iron discrimination to 2 (out of 3 for the 600). I leave speed at 3 and begin. If I notice a target id appears consistent, I'll switch to all metal and complete the motion for ground balance to determine if the id switches to something in iron realm. If not, I'll pinpoint and dig. Also, I have yet to mess with

I haven't had a ton of luck and I'm certain it's probably just my own error or settings choice. I should specify by luck I mean everything I'm digging is usually iron or bottle caps regardless of id being 20+. Would someone be willing to offer any advice with regards to my technique or settings?

I should say I really enjoy the hobby and this doesn't deter me in the slightest from continuing. I don't have any pre-conceived notions of what I'll find, just want to make sure I'm in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good plan! I haven't been using iron discrimination because I like to be the discriminator and if a target id is consistent I dig unless I have already dug 5 or 6 iron bottle caps. So far I have been using park 2 exclusively and 50 tones is my preference. Sometimes I listen to all the iron sometimes I don't just depends on the area and how trashy and/or old the site is.

Good luck!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go back and read the manual again. Focus on settings and discrimination. EXPERIMENT with all modes and get to know your machine!

FWest

Jun 27, 2017
Detector(s) used
EQ 600, ORX, TDI SL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best advise I would add is to stick with the stock settings and prepare to dig it all. Time is the best teacher.
Also a test garden can help figure out your machine. Don't forget to save some junk targets for it as well.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With any new machine, not matter which one it is, I would stick to the manufacturer's default settings for the first few weeks. Also try sticking some real (as in coins) targets out there to see what they read.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also adjust your sensitivity while hunting. There is no need to Gb unless you have bad soil. Reject everything up to 20 except 12 - 14

Learn the machine using default settings like others have said before you try to do much tweaking. With the exception of a cpl preferences I run default settings all the time. Get at least 20 hours on it before you try much and they used to say get 100 hours on if before you think you know it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread