what do you think about this ?

maximushisp

Feb 4, 2005

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 368
19 th century.
You need more artifacts or different objects to get a closer date.

Hi Cornelius,do you think that these spikes could be belong to a 1763 ship?

In the zone also appeared Iron cauldrons.

Thanks

All aside - The middle dark object could be a sharpening stone, the round object a flu damper and the cauldrons blubber rendering pots.

I think that the round object could be a piece of a lock.
The piece that diver001 said that it's a stone it's also made of brass like the nails or spikes.

Looking at the pic, I would say that the hinge is the key to dating the artifacts if they all came from the same site. Find out the period when that style of hinge was used, and the manufacturing process used to make it, and you'll be able to narrow down the age/date.

Cornelius,
Copper and brass fasteners were used primarily from the very late 1700's till the early 1900's. Brass was less subject to electrolysis than iron.
If a boat was 10 years old back then it was ancient. They were throw away vessels, used to haul cargo as cheaply as possible. Brass fasteners could be made up faster than iron. Brass was simply the most commonly used metal in the maritime world in the 19 th century.
When the marine trade switched from wood to steel hull vessels, copper prices went up and it's use went down. Only small craft that would use smaller fasteners than the ones in the picture continued until the 1950's when stainless steel and monel became the fasteners of choice.
It was all economics and the available technology of the time.
The best book that I know of for dating a wreck is Mendel Peterson's "History Under the Sea." Published by the Smithsonian.
Donovan

I have found enough spike to suggest that these came off hard coral shelf and sand pockets, rolled yes, in shallow water 1850-1910 is my guess and in this instance I am confident - as for the added features 1850 onwards aswell 99*

Easy there Cornelius I never said which nation produced the spikes, all I stated is I have seen hundreds or maybe thousands of the same spikes and my conclusion is to compare them to the age of the vessels I got them off, so relax. The hinge etc, are the "added features" english is not my first choice of language. Also I have found the same items on the beach adjacents to a wreck and in the pockets, but I would date them again at 1850-1910. Its only an opinion.99*

I have to agree with 99..... late 19th century. Why ? Because of the machine made hinge. If the site were earlier the hinge would have been hand made and would have had square holes in it for nails instead of round screw holes.
Every 16, 17, and 18th century site that I have ever been diving on had square iron fasteners. Only 19 th century sites used bronze. Except for the " Marie J. Thompson, " The MJT was built just before World war one and was the largest wooden vessel built in the Bahamas. She had a mix of iron and bronze. What bronze was used on the vessel was above the waterline and were primarily thru bolts with threaded ends.... machine made.
Sites earlier than the 19th century had every metal fitting made by hand. No machines back then. Just a guy sweating over a forge.
Donovan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back