What's new

What do you think of the At Gold

MackDog

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
2,750
Golden Thread
0
Location
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Garrett At Pro but am thinking of getting the At Gold too. How's it for coin hunting and jewelry? Does it really discriminate out the trash especially bottle caps? If you have one let me know what you think
Thanks
 
Hello MackDog.
Since you already have an ATpro, will gaining a few more khz with the ATgold suit your needs? Or are you beefing up you Garrett arsenal?
IMHO, I'd look at other machines.
Peace ✌
 
Hello MackDog.
Since you already have an ATpro, will gaining a few more khz with the ATgold suit your needs? Or are you beefing up you Garrett arsenal?
IMHO, I'd look at other machines.
Peace ✌
Love the pro but hate digging so many bottle caps. I was wondering if the Gold would cut down on this. Also was wondering about gold jewelry. I've been finding some with the pro but am I missing some
 
Hang in there, we all miss gold. I too have an ATPro and enjoy it. But I would never consider an ATGold.
Many better machines at same price level.
GL
Peace ✌
 
I have the Gold and the reason I got it was because of where I live here in California, Close enough to the hills to detect up there for nuggets.I had a little bit of a learning curve at first but now I can pretty much call out what I am going to dig before I dig it, haven't used the pro so I can't compare between the 2 of them. Bottle caps are pretty easy to discern what they are with the Gold although some slip by. As for jewelry My total for this year has been 3 gold rings,3 gold pendants 3 silver rings and 2 silver pendants. Nugget count 0 but not for not trying just difficult area to find virgin ground that hasn't been pounded.The coin count so far is over $400.00 to date since owning the machine.
 
Mack what are you running your discrimination at? On the Gold there are 3 modes all metal then 2 discrimination modes I run the disc 1 mode on the Gold at 30 to discriminate out iron but in all metal I don't discriminate at all.
 
Mack what are you running your discrimination at? On the Gold there are 3 modes all metal then 2 discrimination modes I run the disc 1 mode on the Gold at 30 to discriminate out iron but in all metal I don't discriminate at all.

I run the Pro in all metal zero disc. SO far this year 5 gold rings, 1 Gold pendant. 9 or 10 silver rings, bunch of silver earrings, pendants and odds and ends. Now for bottle caps I well into the 1000's.
 
Gold is very good investment and it is also profitable if you investing their money in right direction after doing better analysis to make better profit in future. Coin hunting as well as investing in Gold jewelry are also profitable. You also try gold mutual funds, gold exchange trade fund and gold stock for better investment.
 
mackdog
If you run at pro in pro mode zero...then turn iron desc.up to 35 you can clearly hear the,"grunt-flute-grunt"generated by bottle caps.A few will trick you but the vast majority should be id'd
that is my expierience with at pro
 
mackdog
If you run at pro in pro mode zero...then turn iron desc.up to 35 you can clearly hear the,"grunt-flute-grunt"generated by bottle caps.A few will trick you but the vast majority should be id'd
that is my expierience with at pro

Yes this should help a lot that is what I was getting at when I asked, I run my Gold at 30 iron disc and it lets you know which are caps but some can slip by. Corona caps get by a lot, don't know why. Maybe different metal composition in those caps. Unless you are going to go Gold nugget hunting I don't think you would need a different machine the higher frequency isn't going to change anything you might just want to find what other pro users have their settings at and play around with different settings until you find the sweet spot that you like your machine ran at.
 
Neat, now I'm buying an AT Pro!
 
AT Gold gives positive ID on most bottle caps. I run Disc 1 @ 38, still catching a tiny gold test ring. AM mode is a nice feature for prospecting raw gold. This machine serves me well.
 
My At GOLD does pretty darn good, especially when I have the iron audio on, I am currently running in AM mode with disc set at 25 to 30. it usually tells you that it is a bottle cap. I don't have a Pro and can say nothing about the gain or loss except the diff between saltwater and fresh water hunting. I can't do the saltwater beach thing but you can. I just wonder if You are maximizing the Pro to its abilities in this area. these others who have one should know. there is still the occasional cap that gets thru but the vast majority are ruled out (if I so choose not to dig them). for most of us, we under utilize the abilities of the machine or machines that we own.
 
My At GOLD does pretty darn good, especially when I have the iron audio on, I am currently running in AM mode with disc set at 25 to 30. it usually tells you that it is a bottle cap. I don't have a Pro and can say nothing about the gain or loss except the diff between saltwater and fresh water hunting. I can't do the saltwater beach thing but you can. I just wonder if You are maximizing the Pro to its abilities in this area. these others who have one should know. there is still the occasional cap that gets thru but the vast majority are ruled out (if I so choose not to dig them). for most of us, we under utilize the abilities of the machine or machines that we own.
I have a Whites COinmaster GT and it will totally discriminate out the bottle caps. Went to a field full of them and didn't dig one cap, but was able to find lots of coins in between them. It just doesn't have the depth I want or need.
 
I use the AT pro and an AT Gold. I use the Gold when relic hunting since it has a fast recovery, smaller coil, higher frequency and all metal mode option. Today for fun, I took the Gold to an old high trash park and was able to pick out a few silver coins among the high density of metallic trash. In experiments with the Gold, I’ve been able to separate coins 1/2” away from each other by varying the speed and angle. This all being said the Gold has a large price tag. I purchased a used one (looked new) for $ 318 dollars, so the purchase was a no brainer. I am sure many experienced forum members will also offer you some great advice. Have fun and enjoy the hunt.
 
Ive wondered this myself..do those 3 little kHz in frequency make that much difference and can only assume they do for gold items. The machines are basically the same thing except the gold runs at 18 kHz where the AT runs at 15. We all know both machines are more auditory oriented than what shows on the screen and I've noticed by purchasing grey ghost headphones for my AT I'm able to distinguish between junk and good targets much better as I'm able to hear the grunts and clicks that trash makes more clearly than before. The 5x8 DD coil helps a lot too.
 
Ive wondered this myself..do those 3 little kHz in frequency make that much difference and can only assume they do for gold items. The machines are basically the same thing except the gold runs at 18 kHz where the AT runs at 15. We all know both machines are more auditory oriented than what shows on the screen and I've noticed by purchasing grey ghost headphones for my AT I'm able to distinguish between junk and good targets much better as I'm able to hear the grunts and clicks that trash makes more clearly than before. The 5x8 DD coil helps a lot too.
I might try better head phones, but I use the bigger Nel Coil to get the really deep stuff
 
Which Nel coil do you use? I use the hunter coil and I was extremely impressed with how the machine's abilities improved. Noticed an immediate change in depth and later how I was able to take the AT to the beach and little to no chatter at all with a huge gain in depth in an area known to give the AT trouble.
 
I use the storm it goes deep enough for me
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom