unknown coins 2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 535

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds!

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Very nice! I dint know much about early coinage, but those look in great condition. What country? I am thinking Mediterranean area.
DG

OP
OP
A

avdan

yeah thank you, you are right, closed to mediterranean. inner anatolia,closed to city:ISTANBUL.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Now we need your story of these finds.Very nice ...thanks for sharing...I am an 1812 lover myself ,but like to see all the other era finds and coins from them also.

OP
OP
A

avdan

YOU ARE VERY WELLCOME GYPSYHEART.! ITS MY PLEASURE SHARING THESE.
STORY IS TOO LONG ,İT İS JUST STARTED MEETING BY CHANCE. I BOUGHT A DEDECTOR AND STILL KEEP DEDECTING. ITS MY HOBBY AND ITS VERY ADVENTOROUS HOBBY. I LIKE IT. I AM ALSO COLLECTIONER.
THESE ALSO CAN GIVE YOU SOME IDEA ABOUT EUROPEAN AND MIDDLE EASTERN HISTORY.!! CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW OLD THAT AREA???
BYE FOR NOW.

J

JDSCOIN

Hello,

Someone else had already replied regarding the Byzantine coins. From the images that I have seen here, you have ancient Roman coins and Byzantine coins (actually, the Byzantine items may be a mix or combination of coins and/or lead 'seals').

I'll take a better look at the images to see if I can see any that may be rare or otherwise noteworthy. Perhaps if you can post photos which are larger so as to show more detail you may get better or more accurate information about them. They appear to be in fairly good condition for the most part. So that's a "plus" or a good thing. Happy hunting!

JDSCOIN

J

JDSCOIN

Hello AvDan,

I took another look at the coins. It is hard to tell much specifically about each of them due to the fact that so many of them are crammed into one picture (or two). Try taking pictures of them individually. And as I said, they do appear to be in fairly good condition (that is, you are able to make out some lettering for identification on many of them).

However, the light too, is glaring on them so that makes it hard to see the lettering. Maybe you can do something about that when you take more/better pictures. But there is also another problem. They appear to be mostly copper coins, and of course, they have some pitting. That makes it hard to be certain of some of the letters as well (especially when combined with the glare).

So, what you may do is to dab on a thin coat of oil to the coins that are copper and show pitting. Remove any excess oil. You only want it there to help take away from the 'ashy' areas on the pitted coins. But the oil may also cause some glare. So, you may need to be aware of that when taking pictures of those coins.

I think that I was able to see a Follis of Diocletian (a follis is a denomination of ancient coin). And it also looks like you have an Antoninianus (another denomination of ancient coin) of Claudius 'Gothicus' II. Both are fairly common, but even otherwise common ancient coins may be worth a bit more in higher grade or better condition. Just a few tips that you may be able to use when taking and posting pictures of these coins. I hope that it helps. Kind regards,

JDSCOIN

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Agreed JD... I was a little reluctant to commit to an identification on most of them because of a lack of detail.

But having said that, he has some nice stuff and I look forward to seeing more.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Greetings Avdan - COOL finds, and ANY ancient coin find is a treasure! Just think how long those beauties have been lying in the ground! Congratulations, hope you find LOTS more! Good luck and good hunting!
Roy A. Decker ~ Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread