What's new

What do you think?

baverill11

Greenie
Joined
Oct 25, 2019
Messages
18
Reaction score
59
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found in what I believe is a camp where I've found a bunch of other things. Any ideas?
I'm new to artifact hunting so...

20191023_210055.webp20191023_210114.webp20191023_210133.webp
 
Upvote 0
Wow! Appears to be a large Quartzite slab or preform.
I like it!
 
Cool piece , most would call a blank or preform but some of the finer / small flaking near the top and bottom kinda makes you wonder ..... why take the time to do that unless it was going to be a really big piece close to how it looks now , but I’m no expert just my thoughts
 
That's what had me intrigued! I wonder what made the person making it stop?
 
It looks like a quarry blank that was roughly shaped at the quarry site and transported elsewhere for further refinement.
 
They could have stopped due to the hinge problem on one side, but a skilled knapper could remove that from the other side or it could have been part of a stash of material. Cool find I would like there more.
 
They could have stopped due to the hinge problem on one side, but a skilled knapper could remove that from the other side or it could have been part of a stash of material. Cool find I would like there more.

That's pretty cool and thanks! We have been looking there. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it was a camp at one time. Found several points, both crude and finished, as well as tons of tools and pottery.
 
Nice artifact recovery. Looks like a hoe to me because the edges are worked.
 
I think I see edge-work.

I think it's an artifact.

I like it a lot.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom