What does the blue plus sign or cross represent?

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found this ring today with my Excal. Clearly it's been in the water a very long time. To me this is a really cool find! But I don't know what the blue cross or plus sign represents. I've seen red royalty ones similar but not blue? Anyone know?

Thanks! October 22 16.jpg

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a beauty of an old ring....possibly some fraternal order or other hopefully someone can shed some light on it.

Regards + HH

Bill

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool ring and a great find. However, I don't believe it is really all that 'old'. The inlay is ground turquoise mixed into a clear epoxy resin. I'm not real sure when the process was first used, but I personally believe the ring is no older than the 1970's. (but, 'old' means different things to different people. sometimes I have to remind myself that is almost 50 years ago)

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check out iron cross surrounded by blue.Google it, wikipedia had a description that has WWII implications?Don't know how to do link.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it looks kind of 1960 to 70's style of ring.

Upvote 0

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool ring and a great find. However, I don't believe it is really all that 'old'. The inlay is ground turquoise mixed into a clear epoxy resin. I'm not real sure when the process was first used, but I personally believe the ring is no older than the 1970's. (but, 'old' means different things to different people. sometimes I have to remind myself that is almost 50 years ago)

You beat me to the punch, Jewelerguy. After studying this more closely, it looks like the ring was made with the cross raised, then the background was poured around it. I too was thinking epoxy, perhaps with course sand in suspension with blue dye added to the epoxy mix, the intent being to create the impression of water. My inclination towards the surfer cross was based on my assumption that it was found on the beach based on Kapidr's mention of water and the fact that the avatar depicts beach hunting. Regardless, I agree that this is a very cool find!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread