What fossil is this?

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX series with 9" coil and 18" coil.
Anyone has any idea what this is?

Fossil3.JPG

It's size was about two inches in diameter.

A simple test to see if this is a shell or a crinoid. If the thickness of the specimen is paper thin -It is a shell. If it was a crinoid it should exit out the other side and have some depth to it. Thin concentric rings, very large size(I have never seen a crinoid 2 inches in diameter) and lack of a large center hole do not favor a crinoid.

George

Hi!

Nice fossil! It seems like your fossil is concave from the front view in your photo. If it is concave on both sides then it is probably a fossilized shark vertebra due to its large size. I have checked photos of crinoids and they usually seem to have a small hole in the center. Here is the link to shark vertebrae fossils:

www.buriedtreasurefossils.com/shark_vertebrae.htm

Tom :)

Hi irbaddadjoe,

My brother collected a similar fossil which was about 1/2 inch in diameter. It had very fine lines and was concave at both ends. It also split in half so we were able to see the cross-section which looked like this:
__
)_(

It was probably a small Cretaceous shark or fish vertebra due to its small size and the presence of small fossilized shark teeth and fish remains in the area. Happy hunting!

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back