What inspired me to metal detect

weston777

Greenie
Aug 13, 2013
las vegas
Detector(s) used
GARRETT Spectrum V3i, ATpro, Minelab X-terra 305, whites spectrum xlt, and several older detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father loved metal detecting, he found many coins, rings and other artifacts at the beaches around the country, I have his collection now, I bought my first detector when I started my electronics career in San Diego, it was a Garrett ADS 6, bought it around the mid 1980's. I joined a detector club and the first outing, we went to the old Noble mine in Pine Valley east San Diego county, in the valley below the mine was a rock crushing ring, they would roll a large heavy stone wheel around in the ring to crush the silver & gold ore, then take the crushed ore back to a shack with 2 shaker tables to separate the gold and silver, there was a ravine next to the crusher ring, I went down in the ravine using my new detector for the first time and almost right away I hit something that registered right in the middle of silver on the meter (dead center on the dime icon), it turned out to be a fist size chunk of silver ore from the mine, apparently while crushing the ore it got knocked out of the crusher unnoticed and sat there for no telling how long, eventually it was covered with a couple inches of dirt. So other than my father being an avid detectorist, I guess that's what got me hooked. I have bought, repaired, resold and used many different metal detectors over the years, Garretts, Whites, Minelabs, I resonantly sold the 4th Whites Spectra V3i I've owned & A new Whites Coinmaster 24K and bought a new Garrett APEX with the complete Zlink package, headphones and pinpointer. this will be my last Detector, it's fitting, I started with a Garrett and will finish with a Garrett. it's a nice light and versatile detector, perfect for an old guy like me.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions