What is a "hot" rock?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What is a "hot" rock?

Yes, they have a mineral content that the detector reports as a good target. You can turn up the discrimination or turn down the sensitivity a little but you will lose a little depth and might cancel out detecting a thin gold ring.

One beach I detect has a great number of these mixed with the sand. I've tested my detector on a clean area of ground and balanced the detector. Then I lay some "hot rocks" down near some thin gold rings of various Kt. and see how the detector behaves. Many detectorist just tune these rocks out an don't know what targets they are passing over for others to find.

HH,
Sandman

OP
OP
R

rmkayak

Dec 6, 2005
Prosperity, SC

Sandman256 said:
Yes, they have a mineral content that the detector reports as a good target.? You can turn up the discrimination or turn down the sensitivity a little but you will lose a little depth and might cancel out detecting a thin gold ring.?

One beach I detect has a great number of these mixed with the sand.? I've tested my detector on a clean area of ground and balanced the detector.? Then I lay some "hot rocks" down near some thin gold rings of various Kt. and see how the detector behaves.? Many detectorist just tune these rocks out an don't know what targets they are passing over for others to find.

HH,
Sandman

Thanks for the info!

This hobby sure takes in a lot of different areas! Now I have to learn about rocks and minerals, Civil War, Revolutionary War and history in general.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon

A hot rock, or cold rock, for that matter, is a rock or pocket of soil that has a different amount of mineralization than the surrounding soil. I believe this a basic explination.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread