What is clad? Im not familiar with it...

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is clad? I'm not familiar with it...

I went out today for about an hour and a half in a solo mission since I couldn't get a hold of anyone else. I went to a spot that we have hit pretty hard and went for the iffy signals.... It was already littered with dig holes from somebody else...

I ended up with that token that reads "ALL QUALITY MINTS" on one side and "GOOF FOR 5C PACKAGE OF MINTS" on the other side.

I also got 5 wheat pennies and two Indian Heads, 1890 and 1905.

That other thing is either a punchout of some kind or maybe a local gaming token... it isn't marked with anything that I can see.

No clad was dug on the day, boo yah.

03-14-07.JPG

Upvote 0
Re: What is clad? I'm not familiar with it...

Actually, when I see a lot of the dudes on this site happy to find clad, I think, "Awesome, thanks for leaving the old sites for me."

I was never satisfied with new change, even back when I first started this hobby. If you want to earn an extra buck, ask your boss for some overtime.

Just my 2 cent piece worth of advice! :D

I hope everyone has a great 2007 season.

doyboy

Congratulations on the old coins!

Your finds and your posts, really do speak for themselves.

Ridley

awsome finds brian, i think you can find injuns on top of pavement!! wtg buddy

Looks like you're pretty familar with it to me Brian!

Brian's partial clad total for 2006
Lincoln Memorial Cents :: 1026
Jefferson Nickels :: 80
Roosevelt Clad Dimes :: 288
Washington Clad Quarters :: 181
Kennedy Clad Half Dollars :: 2
Sacagewa Dollars :: 1

1578 clad total!

And I believe that was just for PART of 2006 for you! That a LOT of holes to dig and to STILL not be familiar!

(BTW, nice finds on this post)

Danimal said:
Look like you're pretty familar with it to me Brian!

Brian's partial clad total for 2006
Lincoln Memorial Cents :: 1026
Jefferson Nickels :: 80
Roosevelt Clad Dimes :: 288
Kennedy Clad Half Dollars :: 2
Sacagewa Dollars :: 1

1399 clad total!

And I believe that was just for PART of 2006 for you! That a LOT of holes to dig and to STILL not be familiar!

(BTW, nice finds on this post)

Yeah, I did find a lot of clad. I found it while hunting the beaches or when going to house sites. I don't specifically go to the park to dig up clad.

Ridley said:
Congratulations on the old coins!

Your finds and your posts, really do speak for themselves.

Ridley

Thanks bud!

bscofield6 said:
Yeah, I did find a lot of clad. I found it while hunting the beaches or when going to house sites. I don't specifically go to the park to dig up clad.

so the entire premise of this post...that you're not familiar with clad...was just done tongue in cheek...right?...just a bit of humor...right? You were just trying to be funny...not trying to display arrogance or anything like that...right?

oh yeah..I looked again at your page, and those totals were only through 8/27/06

And at that point you had dug 1974 coins total...so 80% of your coins found with three months remaining in the season were clad!

Danimal said:
bscofield6 said:

so the entire premise of this post...that you're not familiar with clad...was just done tongue in cheek...right?...just a bit of humor...right? You were just trying to be funny...not trying to display arrogance or anthing like that...right?

It's because this year I have dug just 10 clad coins, 13 wheats, 6 indians, a v nickel, a barber dime, an 1886 silver foreign 10 cents coin, and some old tokens. I have dug just 1 clad coin (a deep memorial in fill dirt) since the snow went away. Thus the statement that I'm no longer familiar with clad.

bscofield6 said:
It's because this year I have dug just 10 clad coins, 13 wheats, 6 indians, a v nickel, a barber dime, an 1886 silver foreign 10 cents coin, and some old tokens. I have dug just 1 clad coin (a deep memorial in fill dirt) since the snow went away. Thus the statement that I'm no longer familiar with clad.

Ahh...my bad...you actually titled this thread "Im NOT familiar with it"...not "I am no longer familiar with it"....so you see how people could be confused and just take what you said in such a negative way.

Danimal said:
bscofield6 said:
Danimal said:
bscofield6 said:

so the entire premise of this post...that you're not familiar with clad...was just done tongue in cheek...right?...just a bit of humor...right? You were just trying to be funny...not trying to display arrogance or anthing like that...right?

Ahh...my bad...you actually titled this thread "Im NOT familiar with it"...not "I am no longer familiar with it"....so you see how people could be confused and just take what you said in such a negative way.

Orrrrrrr, people could be looking for a reason to be insulted by others just to start an argument.

If people take offense to what I have to say then don't read my posts, simple as that.

Sure, I can see good reasons to come with a pocket full of clad coins... going to the beach to look for jewelry, take a child with you, etc., but I don't go out to dig 94 cents worth of modern coinage. I can find that walking down the road. If I could dig $10-20 in a day whilst looking for old coins then I would do it, but you just can't do that here where I hunt.

as long as you are having fun... keep it up... thanks for the pics.. keeps me out looking..

Brian,
You wrote that Indian Heads come up closer to screw caps than pennies. Does that mean they come up on the opposite side of the gold spectrum than modern coins (pennies)? I assume you mean bottle caps when you wrote screw caps.
I only have an Ace 250 (it's what I can afford now) and the bottle cap and nickel reading are side by side. Therefore, if I am reading you correctly, Indian heads would come up between bottle caps and nickels. Is that right?
I'd appreciate any help in this area as I hunt a park in SoCal that has great potential for Indian Heads, at least based on its history dating back to the early 1900's.
Let me know and congrats on the finds.
Turtleman

Turtleman said:
Brian,
You wrote that Indian Heads come up closer to screw caps than pennies. Does that mean they come up on the opposite side of the gold spectrum than modern coins (pennies)? I assume you mean bottle caps when you wrote screw caps.
I only have an Ace 250 (it's what I can afford now) and the bottle cap and nickel reading are side by side. Therefore, if I am reading you correctly, Indian heads would come up between bottle caps and nickels. Is that right?
I'd appreciate any help in this area as I hunt a park in SoCal that has great potential for Indian Heads, at least based on its history dating back to the early 1900's.
Let me know and congrats on the finds.
Turtleman

They hit right between where a zinc penny would hit and a modern screw cap would show up at. But you might be correct as well. When I think of screw cap I think of the modern ones made of aluminum. When I think of bottle cap I think of what goes on top of a beer bottle. They hit way down where nickels do.

I dig my coin targets based upon depth and not as much target ID. If it's deep then it has a better chance of being something old.

Hopefully this all helps. If not send me a PM and I can explain it further.

Nice finds,

Looks like my spots. It's rare to find clad and not the old coins. I like those kind of sites.

HH Jer

this is getting......DEEP!

"What is clad? I'm not familiar with it..."

LMFAO

.....coin roll hunter........LMFAO

whats the difference.......

Way to go on your finds ...... ( maybe a possitive comment will get this thread back on track) !!

Mark

I just tested an indian head on my wife's ace250. It rings up as 1 cent, and sometimes hits the next segment below 1 cent. On my fisher CZ, they ring up as modern zinc cents.

I thought ya'll already got all the clad out of Indiana?:-) Oh well, all we're digging here is silver, later bud. HH

Paul

cool finds dude !! i like the old coins too,, but i go cladding when the jewelry itch arises,, i got a 1890 seated dime cladding the other day...and a 1970 penny was at 7in' 2 in' deeper than the seated...... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back