Broken knee
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Dec 12, 2009
- Messages
- 1,909
- Reaction score
- 785
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- in your back yard
- Detector(s) used
- excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's a coat hook though here is a pic. of one I was able to date to 1745/1760. it is referenced in Ivor nole Hume's book Artfacts of colonial America in the furniture/hardware sectioncw0909 said:not sure what it is, maybe a broken piece from a fireplace,or tools for fireplace
i lightened the pic

Broken knee said:I guess it could beI don't think it's a coat hook though here is a pic. of one I was able to date to 1745/1760. it is referenced in Ivor nole Hume's book Artfacts of colonial America in the furniture/hardware section
no attribution as to maker just shapes round, conical, and this one.
it is smooth and flat?CRUSADER said:cw0909 said:not sure what it is, maybe a broken piece from a fireplace,or tools for fireplace
i lightened the pic
What size? (just to confirm my ID)
If it has a smooth flat top (no signs of a break), then I'm confident to say that its a very early find for the US!
17th Century Flat Topped Spoon handle![]()
shaun, crusader's 2 post ? you have one of these also please post pic.shaun7 said:Any chance of a better pic?
Could be a pipe tamper or a coat hook!
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,264912.0.htmlBroken knee said:shaun, crusader's 2 post ? you have one of these also please post pic.shaun7 said:Any chance of a better pic?
Could be a pipe tamper or a coat hook!
BK
Broken knee said:it is smooth and flat?CRUSADER said:cw0909 said:not sure what it is, maybe a broken piece from a fireplace,or tools for fireplace
i lightened the pic
What size? (just to confirm my ID)
If it has a smooth flat top (no signs of a break), then I'm confident to say that its a very early find for the US!
17th Century Flat Topped Spoon handle![]()
CRUSADER said:Broken knee said:it is smooth and flat?CRUSADER said:cw0909 said:not sure what it is, maybe a broken piece from a fireplace,or tools for fireplace
i lightened the pic
What size? (just to confirm my ID)
If it has a smooth flat top (no signs of a break), then I'm confident to say that its a very early find for the US!
17th Century Flat Topped Spoon handle![]()
green cheeck time![]()
shaun7 said:Nice id CruCRUSADER said:Broken knee said:it is smooth and flat?CRUSADER said:cw0909 said:not sure what it is, maybe a broken piece from a fireplace,or tools for fireplace
i lightened the pic
What size? (just to confirm my ID)
If it has a smooth flat top (no signs of a break), then I'm confident to say that its a very early find for the US!
17th Century Flat Topped Spoon handle![]()
green cheeck time![]()
Did you think they were the hook things when you dug em?
)CRUSADER said:shaun7 said:Nice id CruCRUSADER said:Broken knee said:it is smooth and flat?CRUSADER said:OK green check on the spoon do you think the hook was made locally or a immigrant from across the pond?cw0909 said:not sure what it is, maybe a broken piece from a fireplace,or tools for fireplace
i lightened the pic
What size? (just to confirm my ID)
If it has a smooth flat top (no signs of a break), then I'm confident to say that its a very early find for the US!
17th Century Flat Topped Spoon handle![]()
green cheeck time![]()
Did you think they were the hook things when you dug em?
Not really, as they had no iron filled hole. (at first glance of this one, I was going to agree with you, & then I remembered mine)
I first thought Pipe Tamper when I found them. Plus the 2nd from the top left I thought was a Chess Piece (Pawn). It wasn't until I showed a expert (& book writer) that I got an ID. Not everything is in my books (although it maybe in a book somewhere)
CRUSADER said:shaun7 said:Nice id CruCRUSADER said:Broken knee said:it is smooth and flat?CRUSADER said:cw0909 said:not sure what it is, maybe a broken piece from a fireplace,or tools for fireplace
i lightened the pic
What size? (just to confirm my ID)
If it has a smooth flat top (no signs of a break), then I'm confident to say that its a very early find for the US!
17th Century Flat Topped Spoon handle![]()
green cheeck time![]()
Did you think they were the hook things when you dug em?
Not really, as they had no iron filled hole. (at first glance of this one, I was going to agree with you, & then I remembered mine)
I first thought Pipe Tamper when I found them. Plus the 2nd from the top left I thought was a Chess Piece (Pawn). It wasn't until I showed a expert (& book writer) that I got an ID. Not everything is in my books (although it maybe in a book somewhere)
Broken knee said:crusader, I think this question got lost in the quote's. Do you think the hook was made locally or a immigrant from across the pond?
BCH, the first pic. is the seal top spoon the second is a coat hook.bigcypresshunter said:Is it a spoon handle or a hook? Can someone please clarify for me.