What's new

What is it

sandsifter66

Greenie
Joined
Mar 27, 2010
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Gardendale Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2000, Whites beach hunter ID, Ace 250
I found this while hunting in the woods along a rail road track 1/2 mile back in the woods. It is about 1"x1"x1/2"thick Stone with big X cut into it. I checked with Indian expert and he said ? Must be broken off some more it it. It is too sharp of a cut to be make naturally. I think something Indian. Found in a old road bed along side RR track.
 

Attachments

  • AUT_0903.webp
    AUT_0903.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 363
  • AUT_0904.webp
    AUT_0904.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 348
  • AUT_0905.webp
    AUT_0905.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 356
Looks like it could stand up on that flat, so, with the X, seems likely it's from a au plat or plum pit game. Also called Indian dice. Sometimes a few of the dice are made so that a lucky shake of the bowl makes these pieces stand up. That is a automatic high score.

Nice find, definitely a keeper. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
I just got done reading the hooked "X" by scott f wolter. it is about the kensington rune stone found in minnesota. according to them it was left by 8 gotlanders and 22 norwegians. it was part of a land claim after the catholic church and france destroyed the knights templar. they also left a trail of stones marking the path they took so they could refind the land parcel they had claimed upon returning if the church and france tried to destroy them as well.
 
Upvote 0
Was it found near any water body? Lake, large stream or river? I have seen similar stones in a museum. They said they were net weights for fishing, the X was to lash them on the net.
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to T-Net Sandsifter66. My guess is that it is natural. A geo fact. I would post it again in the Indian artifact section. They may have seen or have a like example. I would have picked it up as well. Nice eye ball find!
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
Looks like it could stand up on that flat, so, with the X, seems likely it's from a au plat or plum pit game. Also called Indian dice. Sometimes a few of the dice are made so that a lucky shake of the bowl makes these pieces stand up. That is a automatic high score.

Nice find, definitely a keeper. :icon_thumright:
http://www.wnit.org/outdoorelements/pdf/408NativeAmerican_ga.pdf
 
Upvote 0
No it was not found by any stream or any water. I have also been told by other friends that it may be something to do with a Indian game. It was found in Central Alabama where we do have a lot of Indian art and places. It was found along side a RR track on a dirt access road running parallel to it for a hunting club. Close to where there was a train depot back in the 1800's where rich people would get off and go to nearby hotels about 1/4 mile away by wagon. There were springs in the area but this was up on a hill where it was found while walking back to my truck after trying to find the train depot with my GPS to MD. I didn't find the train station. I just found a trash dump and found only junk.
Thanks for the comments
Sandsifter
 
Upvote 0
wwwtimmcp said:
I just got done reading the hooked "X" by scott f wolter. it is about the kensington rune stone found in minnesota. according to them it was left by 8 gotlanders and 22 norwegians. it was part of a land claim after the catholic church and france destroyed the knights templar. they also left a trail of stones marking the path they took so they could refind the land parcel they had claimed upon returning if the church and france tried to destroy them as well.
"NNNNNNNNNNICE"
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom