What's new

What is it?

Bow Only

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2016
Messages
254
Reaction score
485
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People send me pics from time to time to identify or authenticate their artifacts and this one stumped me. Maybe someone here has seen this before and knows what it is. I believe this came from Illinois.

There doesn't appear to be circular wear in the center divot.
 

Attachments

  • unknown.webp
    unknown.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 166
  • unknown back.webp
    unknown back.webp
    22 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0
The material, is it granite? Are there peck marks visible on it anywhere? What about polish? Is there obvious use polish or polish from finishing?
 
Looks like a nice cone that could possibly made from a curios piece of material....very cool whatever it is.
 
The material, is it granite? Are there peck marks visible on it anywhere? What about polish? Is there obvious use polish or polish from finishing?
I've never held it and don't know the material. It looks like greenstone to me and I would think the backside would almost have to be polished to be that perfect.
 
May need to rule out natural concretion first? Certainly could be man made, but I would want to rule out concretion at least. Probably not, but just a thought....
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    118.4 KB · Views: 153
Okay, here is one I found years ago and for years thought it was a Cone, but it's not. It is a natural Concretion that has split in two and then was polished by the weather and erosion. I think that one may be similar but with more polish and maybe from water since it so much smoother.
 

Attachments

  • 2016-11-13 14.07.51.webp
    2016-11-13 14.07.51.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 2016-11-13 14.07.58.webp
    2016-11-13 14.07.58.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 2016-11-13 14.08.12.webp
    2016-11-13 14.08.12.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 99
i have a very similar piece that i found on the left coast but i always just assumed it was some odd natural piece.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom