What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is it?

JamesJr

Jr. Member
Joined
May 4, 2025
Messages
50
Reaction score
152
Golden Thread
0
I dug this in Hampton, VA where I live and am fortunate to have had access to colonial homesteads dating from present back to 1625. So it is difficult and fascinating to try to ID and date everything you did up. This one is very interesting. I think it is a dagger or knife hilt as it has two holes for the pommel to go through and is slightly tapered bottom to top with larger end being on bottom. The figures are primitive looking and seem to show a man holding a shield and spear with the images the same on each side of the object. What do you think? Jim
 

Attachments

  • dagger hilt 2.webp
    dagger hilt 2.webp
    44.9 KB · Views: 191
  • dagger hilt 1.webp
    dagger hilt 1.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Dagger Hilt 3.webp
    Dagger Hilt 3.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Dagger Hilt 4.webp
    Dagger Hilt 4.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Dagger Hilt 5.webp
    Dagger Hilt 5.webp
    40 KB · Views: 129
Whoa...! That's way too much of a stretch of the imagination.
It’s the right size and they could have had a wood or something insert, but it’s probably not that. I tried to find something like it ,and found nothing on the internet remotely similar.
 
Upvote 0
I wonder whether it is a hammer head. Ends peined from striking, hole for handle. The one somewhat similar posted recently gave me the idea.
 
Upvote 0
I wonder whether it is a hammer head. Ends peined from striking, hole for handle. The one somewhat similar posted recently gave me the idea.
Can't picture it do you have an example? Thanks for the input.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom