What's new

what is this? its heavy

wstgo

Full Member
Joined
May 3, 2011
Messages
157
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Location
Canastota, New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Found at 1800's home (back yard) Its about 2inches across
 

Attachments

  • Disk.webp
    Disk.webp
    20 KB · Views: 422
  • Diskfrt.webp
    Diskfrt.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 415
At "2 inches across"... it appears to be a Civilian-type "rosette" from saddle-harness or other horsegear harness. Your rosette is stamped-brass, with a lead-alloy "filler metal" in the back to hold an attachment-bar (which is missing).
 
Upvote 0
Thanks CBguy, would you have a pic of what the attachment would look like?
 
Upvote 0
For the 2"-size rosette, the attachment-bar (which could be made or iron or brass) had the basic form of an oversized metal staple. I'll try to find a photo showing a backside view of that size of a rosette.

Edit: Found a photo which shows the form of attachment bar ...but this one is on a World War One era US cavalry rosette, not the lead-filled-back type that you found.
 

Attachments

  • ww1_horsegear_rosette-with-1902eagle_solid-with-brassbar_backview.webp
    ww1_horsegear_rosette-with-1902eagle_solid-with-brassbar_backview.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 372
Upvote 0
Thank you, this is the first one I have ever found. I thought it might be a clock pendulum.
 
Upvote 0
I have to say it could be a clock pendulum weight, due to what looks like the impression of a flat metal bar in the lead-alloy fillermetal. But I'd think a pendulum's attachment to the metal bar would be "deeper" ...surrounded by the fillermetal rather than just pressed into it.
 
Upvote 0
In fairness (and humility), I have to say that achieving certainty about the object's ID is difficult. I leaned away from the thought that it was a clock's pendulum-weight for the reason I mentioned above. Also, most pendulum-weights I've seen were at least "somewhat" ornate, rather than being a plain (featureless) disc ...whereas in contrast I've seen lots of very plain 18th & 19th-century rosettes. So, combining its plain-ness with its lack of anything "substantial" for attachment to a pendulum's shaft, my immediate thought was that it's is a horsegear rosette, missing its staple-shaped attachment bar. But, if it's a rosette, I cannot explain the shallow flat-bottomed imprint in the center of the fillermetal. Speaking of which, the fillermetal looks "blobby." Perhaps the object was in a fire which melted the lead-alloy fillermetal enough to obscure that metal's original shape.

I think a clue which will help in obtaining 100%-certainty about the object's ID is the "curled over" rim of its brass face ...that rim is somewhat similar to what we see when a 2-piece button is missing its back.

If somebody here can come up with a photo of a clock pendulum-weight whose back matches this object, I'd like to see it ...and I will give that person my public applause for the 100%-certainty ID. :)
 
Upvote 0
"about 2inches across" I would say buckle maybe. I agree that the back has been melted since original use.
 
Upvote 0
Here is a better pic of the back if that helps CBguy, Thanks for your help. and sorry but I measured it and it is 1 1/2 inches exactly across
 

Attachments

  • disklarge.webp
    disklarge.webp
    66 KB · Views: 289
Upvote 0
Thank you for the new, better photo, and for the measurement correction.

I did a bunch or additional research, and now believe I have reached 100%-certainty about the ID of the object you dug. Due to the research-results, I must retract my initial opinion that it is a horsegear rosette. As mentioned in my latest post, the melted fillermetal damage "obscured" the object's attachment-form.

I found a photo which I believe shows what your object's attachment-form was, before the fire-damage happened. The photo shows 3 excavated actual horsegear rosettes, and what appears to be your object. Its back had a wide thin rectangular "tunnel" through the fillermetal, to accept the thin bar-shaped shaft of the clock's pendulum.

I previously mentioned that the rim of your object's brass face is "curled-over" on the back, similar to a 2-piece button's front-section. (The "curled-over" rim is clearly visible in your new photo of your object's back.) Note that the backs of the brass-faced rosettes in the photo below do not have a "rolled-over" edge ...but the clock-pendulum weight does.

So, I think we can green-check your mystery-object now. It is indeed a clock-pendulum weight. Anybody disagree?
 

Attachments

  • clock-pedulum-weight-and-rosettes_rearview_photobyRiker.webp
    clock-pedulum-weight-and-rosettes_rearview_photobyRiker.webp
    53 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 0
Another great ID! I will only add that this would likely be from a small clock. Most I've seen are larger than 1-1/2" in diameter. Nice find!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Two What's Its
Replies
10
Views
647
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Ghost town help
Replies
3
Views
476

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom