What's new

What is this? Ive found several of these over the years.

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is this? I've found several of these over the years.

Hey Gang, I've found several of these, and don't have a clue. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • IronWhatIsIt1.webp
    IronWhatIsIt1.webp
    27.3 KB · Views: 470
Re: What is this? I've found several of these over the years.

Were you near any railroads, I see mountains of these things next to railroad tracks quite often, not sure of there use though.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What is this? I've found several of these over the years.

Henry2 said:
Were you near any railroads, I see mountains of these things next to railroad tracks quite often, not sure of there use though.

Hello Henry, Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did find it close to a railroad; I would say maybe 50 yrds. from the old tracks. I've attached a pic of what it would look like if it were not broken. I don't know if it would have been a complete circle/rectangle or had a small opening like the 2nd pic. On the ones you've seen, were they a complete rectangle or did they have an opening? Breezie
 

Attachments

  • IronWhatIsIt2.webp
    IronWhatIsIt2.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 402
Upvote 0
Re: What is this? I've found several of these over the years.

Appears to be a steel shim.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What is this? I've found several of these over the years.

I believe that is a shim used in railroad tie plates. Various sizes and types were used under the tie plates over the years.
 

Attachments

  • basic_rail.gif
    basic_rail.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 363
Upvote 0
Re: What is this? I've found several of these over the years.

lostcauses said:
Appears to be a steel shim.
DFXScout said:
I believe that is a shim used in railroad tie plates. Various sizes and types were used under the tie plates over the years.

DFXScout & LostCauses, Thank you for the ID! :thumbsup: Were these shims a rectangle so it looks like an "O" or was there an opening so it looks like a "C"?
 
Upvote 0
Re: What is this? I've found several of these over the years.

Breezie said:
lostcauses said:
Appears to be a steel shim.
DFXScout said:
I believe that is a shim used in railroad tie plates. Various sizes and types were used under the tie plates over the years.

DFXScout & LostCauses, Thank you for the ID! :thumbsup: Were these shims a rectangle so it looks like an "O" or was there an opening so it looks like a "C"?

Depending on the needs either one..
 
Upvote 0
Re: What is this? I've found several of these over the years.

How thick is it? does it appear to have broken off of something? I ask because I've seen similar things that were used to hold a chain. you'd put a link through the slot and it would keep the chain from coming loose from whatever it was attached to.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What is this? I've found several of these over the years.

NOLA_Ken said:
How thick is it? does it appear to have broken off of something? I ask because I've seen similar things that were used to hold a chain. you'd put a link through the slot and it would keep the chain from coming loose from whatever it was attached to.

Ken, it is not very thick; about 1/4 of an inch. Thank you for your reply, Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom