What is this melted yellow metal?

Can anyone tell me what this is and what I should do with it??

• Gold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brass

• Bronze

• Total voters
D

davewilson

Attachments

• IMG_3536.JPG
    IMG_3536.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_3535.JPG
    IMG_3535.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 630
T

TreasureTales

Did the sandpaper scratch it? Can't tell from the photo. If not, I'd agree with Reddielocks - brass. Aren't all the weird things that detectors find totally interesting? I love this stuff.

OP
OP
D

davewilson

Here are a couple of close ups. The metal scratches easily if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_3537.JPG
    IMG_3537.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_3538.JPG
    IMG_3538.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 594

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
You can test it for gold with nitric acid I think. Theres a couple of posts here that explain the process. I'll try and find one for you.(I still think its brass)

kenb

T

TreasureTales

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there just 3 possibilities for yellow metal? Gold, it's not. Brass, it could be. Bronze is brittle and doesn't appear as shiny and yellow as your photo. Gotta be brass. But what grit sandpaper did you use on it? And why?

So now the question is, What was it before it melted???

B

BIG61AL

wouldn't a gold piece that size be unusually heavy? Has to be brass. What is the melting point of brass? ships long ago had lots of brass and still do.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a brazing or soldering metal with multiple metals. Gold would bend (if pure or close to it), bronze would surely break as would brass. Bronze would have a more copperish look to it I think.

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
hi
it must be brass,gold does not blemish,
i've dug a few gold items and they come out of the ground the same colour they were lost.
hope this helps.
dave.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for Xerox Corp. some years back at a circuit board mfg. facility. We used to electroplate circuit boards with various metals. Nickle, gold, and a combination of nickle/gold. On the unrubberized parts of the bars that held the boards during plating, there would be a slag-like buildup of these metals. They could be broken off in chunks similar to yours. btw.....we gold plated quite a few Kennedy halfs during that time that looked pretty neat.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI: It is brass. the bluish/greenish coatings are from the copper leaching out.

Tropical Tramp

p.s. C should read "Wipe the soloution off and check color"

Attachments

• Metal testing soloution.jpg
    Metal testing soloution.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 582
T

TreasureTales

So the technical term would be...a glob of gunk. :D Actually, I know several people who save all brass, copper, and lead so that some day (years from now, no doubt) they're have enough to sell as scrap metal. Something to consider if the glob is bigger than a pinhead. How big is it anyhow?

T

TreasureTales

packerbacker said:
Turn it in all directions. Look for even the slightest resemblance to Jesus, Mary or Jay Leno. Then eBay it!

;D That is really very good advice. Jay Leno buys all kinds of junk...er, I mean treasure...that even slightly resembles him. I'd say the lump on one end resembles his enormous chin. Put it on ebay, make up a convincing story about its similarities to Leno...viola...money in the bank!! :D

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
TreasureTales said:
So the technical term would be...a glob of gunk. :D Actually, I know several people who save all brass, copper, and lead so that some day (years from now, no doubt) they're have enough to sell as scrap metal. Something to consider if the glob is bigger than a pinhead. How big is it anyhow?

Copper would be a fourth possibility.
Copper also turns green with oxidation and corrosion, like brass.

:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread