What's new

What is this relic?

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2003
Messages
1,771
Reaction score
610
Golden Thread
1
Location
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
I found this at an old road camp.
I thought it might be a pot holder or
possibly something to do with changing tires. Anyone able to identify this tool?

ForumRunner_20120925_121945.webp
 
shovel? idk still cool
 
Maybe a Slicer on a pivoted arm?!
 
Looks like the trigger of a trap. Notice the hole on one end and the flat piece in the middle.
Nevada Coyote
 
Could be, but this is more of a tool. It is on a flat piece of iron. The hole is intentional like it was used over and over and hung upwhen it was not being used. It sure does look like a fencepost piece, but I don't think that's it.
 
AntiqueTrapA-color.webpI agree its a Trigger for a old trap line Trap See this image.
 
Ok. The trap looks like a possibility, but I am still not convinced. I'll send more pics when I go to lunch. The center piece is not a round plate and this was used in a roadcamp where theywere building roads. Seems to me that the only thing they might be trapping would be a coyote, and it would be easier to just shoot it from a distance if this is what they wanted to do. This was found in the desert.
 
Well, after taking a few more shots, maybe you are right.








ForumRunner_20120927_120854.webp
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20120927_120914.webp
    ForumRunner_20120927_120914.webp
    80.8 KB · Views: 125
  • ForumRunner_20120927_120942.webp
    ForumRunner_20120927_120942.webp
    84.6 KB · Views: 119
  • ForumRunner_20120927_121009.webp
    ForumRunner_20120927_121009.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 127
  • ForumRunner_20120927_121042.webp
    ForumRunner_20120927_121042.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Yep looks like a coyote or pig trap. The rest is probably nearby. The fence post pieces were most likely used to anchor them in the absence of a suitable tree.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Nevada coyote and others. I think now that the trap trip was the right answer.
 
I was thinking you might have just one piece of a puzzle. Nevada might be right.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom