What's new

what is this ring?

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
1,887
Reaction score
146
Golden Thread
0
Location
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm trying to figure out this ring thing. I went out to the edge of the marsh where I'd dug the 16th/17th century baldrick buckle and large button a couple days later. This ring was at great depth (same as the baldrick) in the red iron gravel below the gray sand and peat moss layers. The ground there is very predicatable depth-wise, and the other things pictured were at depthos constent with their age (shallower, as were the mid 1800's pins). All relics are very far from any house or structure, and are near the sea.

I'd write the ring off as possibly a candle stick holder's ring, except that it has remains of silver plating in the lines. It was very encrusted (more so than any dateable relics I've dug in the general area) and it is definately early.

It's size fits a large man's ring finger. There is a stud on the side which does not appear to be broken off, but it does look slightly splayed as though it went through metal (or the remote chance it held an ornament). The center of the outside design doesn't show well, but it is a curved depression bordered by a line on both sides.

I can't think of what could have been silver plated that would look like this and be of this age?
 

Attachments

  • stufffinal.webp
    stufffinal.webp
    332.3 KB · Views: 380
  • ringflatfinal.webp
    ringflatfinal.webp
    91.4 KB · Views: 365
  • ringsidefinal.webp
    ringsidefinal.webp
    52.5 KB · Views: 365
  • ringtopfinal.webp
    ringtopfinal.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 365
I guess it is too wide to be some type of heavy duty scissors finger hold, really have no idea on this one, sort of like dozens of whatisits we all have, probably never will know for sure.............

Don
 
Upvote 0
Don in SJ said:
I guess it is too wide to be some type of heavy duty scissors finger hold, really have no idea on this one, sort of like dozens of whatisits we all have, probably never will know for sure.............

Don


Yeah, I kind of thought it a lost cause before I posted it. Darn, if it hadn't have been so deep I wouldn't care what it was. :D
 
Upvote 0
Colonial curtain rod ring :dontknow: sorry jgas
 
Upvote 0
it looks like an antique eyeglass holder, missing the glass and necklace
 
Upvote 0
maybe it was used to hold yarn while crocheting. nice finds you got there. what do you think that boomerang shaped item is?
 
Upvote 0
I removed my old guess when I reread the post. Why cant it be a silverplated candlestick holder?candlestick holder.webp
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom