What's new

What is this rock

jtw1313

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
3,728
Reaction score
2,099
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know what this is? I thought it looked suspicious like it was dyed but I tried to scrape the pink off........ used nail polish remover and it doesn’t come off. There also seems to be a little shell stuck in it
 

Attachments

  • 957D79BD-D949-4C39-8D1B-2B39C3E62E1F.webp
    957D79BD-D949-4C39-8D1B-2B39C3E62E1F.webp
    163.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 839EC130-B5E7-446C-B0AD-AA0FAA8A7BB4.webp
    839EC130-B5E7-446C-B0AD-AA0FAA8A7BB4.webp
    211 KB · Views: 70
  • C9138FFB-F5A6-49B7-87BC-28E322DCD307.webp
    C9138FFB-F5A6-49B7-87BC-28E322DCD307.webp
    430.8 KB · Views: 70
  • D1E76D15-C6DF-41B0-81FC-0018826E77CA.webp
    D1E76D15-C6DF-41B0-81FC-0018826E77CA.webp
    310 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
It's look like a milky quartz. No telling what the cause of those pink spots are.
 
Upvote 0
My guess is that this is not quartz, but calcite with some 'cobaltoan' portions giving it the pink colourations.

Try an acid test on a small piece to see it you get bubbles (of carbon dioxide) typical for carbonate minerals. Vinegar should be good enough but the reaction is slow and you may need to observe with a loupe to see it happening. I have hydrochloric acid, which is better, but the most readily available testing solution for those that don't want to mess around with strong acids would be a proprietary kitchen/bathroom limescale remover. I would try something like 'Viakal', but I don't know if you have that in the States. If not, there will be something similar.

If you get no reaction, I'll think again.
 
Upvote 0
I put 14k and 18k acid on it would that be good? I don’t think it did anything but not sure how long to let it sit
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom