What's new

What is this stone relic?

flyingken

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jan 10, 2007
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I am new at trying to post pictures, so if I mess up, I will apologize in advance. I have had this item for about fifty years and would like to know what it is. The other is a picture of some of my arrowheads. A big howdy to all you arrowhead collectors. Maybe some of you will know what this thing is. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 10 19 11 -1 Copy.webp
    10 19 11 -1 Copy.webp
    66.7 KB · Views: 572
  • 10 19 11 -2 Copy.webp
    10 19 11 -2 Copy.webp
    75.9 KB · Views: 559
  • 10 19 11 -3 Copy.webp
    10 19 11 -3 Copy.webp
    90.3 KB · Views: 549
  • 10 19 11 -4 Copy.webp
    10 19 11 -4 Copy.webp
    70 KB · Views: 634
  • 10 19 11 -5 Copy.webp
    10 19 11 -5 Copy.webp
    77.3 KB · Views: 626
  • 10 19 11 -6 Copy.webp
    10 19 11 -6 Copy.webp
    73 KB · Views: 650
  • 10 19 11 -7 Copy.webp
    10 19 11 -7 Copy.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 614
  • 10 19 11 -8 Copy.webp
    10 19 11 -8 Copy.webp
    64.6 KB · Views: 619
Could it be a arrow straightener, or more precisely because of the size, and attala (spelling? I mean to say a spear (or dart may be more correct) chucker) straightener. Or Throwing Stick. Y'all know what I mean.

You have a huge age range of arrowheads there. Could you shoot a couple of photos of specific ones? Like the little notched white ones near the center, the brown Folsom or Clovis, what ever it is (no expertise here, Folsom I think) and the small whiteish one just below the white one with the very long "ears" just to the right of center.

Where are these from?
 
Upvote 0
awesome arrowheads :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 
Upvote 0
that's gotta be a shaft straightener.
Looks like a folsom center @ 1 o'clock.
The group looks like a central texas collection to me.
Thanks for the pics
 
Upvote 0
oledavidboy - Good guess. They are from southern Oklahoma from west of Wichita Falls to southeast Okla. on Okla. side of Red River.


oledavidboy said:
that's gotta be a shaft straightener.
Looks like a folsom center @ 1 o'clock.
The group looks like a central texas collection to me.
Thanks for the pics
 
Upvote 0
Thanks High Plains Digger. Be glad to shoot the request for you when I get home. We are on the road for a few days.



High Plains Digger said:
Could it be a arrow straightener, or more precisely because of the size, and attala (spelling? I mean to say a spear (or dart may be more correct) chucker) straightener. Or Throwing Stick. Y'all know what I mean.

You have a huge age range of arrowheads there. Could you shoot a couple of photos of specific ones? Like the little notched white ones near the center, the brown Folsom or Clovis, what ever it is (no expertise here, Folsom I think) and the small whiteish one just below the white one with the very long "ears" just to the right of center.

Where are these from?
 
Upvote 0
Thanks jewelerguy. I never get tired of looking at arrowheads. It is a special feeling when I find one to know that I am probably the first person to touch the arrowhead in several thousand years.

[ quote author=jewelerguy link=topic=429557.msg3064890#msg3064890 date=1319082412]
awesome arrowheads :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
[/quote]
 
Upvote 0
High Plains Digger, ps it is a Folsom. I saw one years ago that is its identical twin in the Museum of Natural History in Denver. It was made out of what they called Amarilla Chert. The quality of workmanship is just unbelievable.

flyingken said:
Thanks High Plains Digger. Be glad to shoot the request for you when I get home. We are on the road for a few days.



High Plains Digger said:
Could it be a arrow straightener, or more precisely because of the size, and attala (spelling? I mean to say a spear (or dart may be more correct) chucker) straightener. Or Throwing Stick. Y'all know what I mean.

You have a huge age range of arrowheads there. Could you shoot a couple of photos of specific ones? Like the little notched white ones near the center, the brown Folsom or Clovis, what ever it is (no expertise here, Folsom I think) and the small whiteish one just below the white one with the very long "ears" just to the right of center.

Where are these from?
 
Upvote 0
I thought that looked a little familiar. Live north of Denver and been to the museum dozens of times. Only places I go anymore are the arrowheads section, mineral section (mining) and the fossil area. I think they make resin replicas of that one to sell in the gift shop. Or used to, anyway.
 
Upvote 0
Cool Folsom. I'm sure there's others around, but that's the first one I've seen made from Alibates flint. Comes from a quarry north of present day Amarillo, TX. Probably a very popular trade item and people came from all over for thousands of years to mine it there. Can you get us a bigger pic of it?
 
Upvote 0
RGINN - I will get a bigger pic of the Folsom point posted when I get home in a few days, as I am traveling now. Its really a beautiful point.



quote author=RGINN link=topic=429557.msg3065376#msg3065376 date=1319130763]
Cool Folsom. I'm sure there's others around, but that's the first one I've seen made from Alibates flint. Comes from a quarry north of present day Amarillo, TX. Probably a very popular trade item and people came from all over for thousands of years to mine it there. Can you get us a bigger pic of it?
[/quote]
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom