What's new

what is this?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
4,601
Reaction score
953
Golden Thread
0
Location
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in a field where an 1874 Indian and CW button was found... It is brass but I don't think it is a bullet casing.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1927.webp
    DSCN1927.webp
    8.9 KB · Views: 433
  • DSCN1925.webp
    DSCN1925.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 417
  • DSCN1924.webp
    DSCN1924.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 436
1 fired into another bullet :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Shotgun slug?
 
Upvote 0
Musket Cap? Ointment tube cap?
 
Upvote 0
thats a modern bullet casing,made of copper
 
Upvote 0
Kuger is correct ...with the small correction that it is called a jacket, not a casing. Impact with the ground (or a tree, etc) often causes the jacket to get stripped off of the bullet's lead body. Here is a photo showing some unfired copper-jacketed bullets. Notice the "reeded" (or "knurled") groove on the jacket dug by Thrillathahunt, and on the ones in this photo.
 

Attachments

  • bullet_COPPERJACKETED-45-caliber_hollowpoint_0102_1.webp
    bullet_COPPERJACKETED-45-caliber_hollowpoint_0102_1.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 390
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Kuger is correct ...with the small correction that it is called a jacket, not a casing. Impact with the ground (or a tree, etc) often causes the jacket to get stripped off of the bullet's lead body. Here is a photo showing some unfired copper-jacketed bullets. Notice the "reeded" (or "knurled") groove on the jacket dug by Thrillathahunt, and on the ones in this photo.

Yes,copper jacketed bullet....I dunno why I said casing?? :tongue3: :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Amazingly fast and perfect ID! Thanks again guys!

I hope you guys know how much you all are appreciated. :thumbsup:

One more question, when did they start jacketing bullets with copper?
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the "Thanks", Thrilla :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
thats a modern bullet casing,made of copper
Good ID. We know what you meant by "casing." I see the knurling. I should have known being a hunter I have removed those from game animals but much more chewed up and with lead.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
kuger said:
thats a modern bullet casing,made of copper
Good ID. We know what you meant by "casing." I see the knurling. I should have known being a hunter I have removed those from game animals but much more chewed up and with lead.

Thats exactly how I knew as well!! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Thrillathahunt wrote:
> One more question, when did they start jacketing bullets with copper?

Late-1800s. The purpose of the jacket is to prevent the gun's rifling-grooves from getting filled with lead from the bullet's body during multi-repeated firing. ("Lead-fouling" of the rifling-grooves turned out to be a severe problem with fast-firing Repeating guns.)
 
Upvote 0
Yeah thats a bullets copper jacket which seperated from the lead. Can find a lot of 'em where people shooting a lot of shots at targets.
 
Upvote 0
..yours does not date that early though given the little "reeded",part near the base
 
Upvote 0
I thought it was for better penetration like the full metal jacket which is illegal for hunting here..
 
Upvote 0
The illegal for hunting is the solid iron bullets with a full metal jacket. The kind used at war. It is the solid iron part, the part where it doesnt stop, it just keeps going through most anything. All hunting bullets and target bullets with a copper jacket have a full metal jacket, it is over lead though. Many are just lead, without a jacket.
 
Upvote 0
All hunting bullets and target bullets with a copper jacket have a full metal jacket, it is over lead though. Many are just lead, without a jacket.

:icon_scratch:I dont think so
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom