What's new

✅ SOLVED What is this?

vscience

Full Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2012
Messages
198
Reaction score
446
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is this mystery item? It is so simple yet it is baffling. I had it for years and couldn't figure out what it is so I'm turning to you.
A tool or weapon? I don't think it's a netting needle because it doesn't have a hole or hook for threading.
Also.... I can't figure out what it's made of. Stone? I found this in a recycling (trash) bin in Florida. I figured that the previous owner passed and his family tossed his stuff. Ugh.
I don't know if bone can turn to stone but it feels like it is made from stone or a rock.
The brown coloring is like a super thick patina. DSCN1598[1].webp
It is smooth and covered with a patina from use.
Approximately: 9 in x 1 in.
Weight: 3.3 oz
It fits in my hand perfectly. It has a number of marks on the side of it. Any guesses? Thanks!
DSCN1591[1].webp stick_tool3.webp stick_hand.webpstick_tool4.webp stick_tool side notch.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Where was it found looks like creek stain on it?
 
Looks like bone

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
 
Strange for sure. Digging tool?
 
I found this in a recycling (trash) bin in Florida. I figured that the previous owner passed and his family tossed his stuff. Ugh.
I don't know if bone can turn to stone but it feels like it is made from stone or a rock.
The brown coloring is like a super thick patina. I'll update my original post with this info.
 
Hey vscience!! Looks as if it could have been an old netting needle for repairing fishing nets!! Just a guess!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!
 
Old wet stone for scythe
 
Old wet stone for scythe

I believe so. If one searches "whet stone for scythe", there are quite a few close matches to the stone in this thread....
 
I do agree this item is probably a whet stone for a scythe. Mystery solved. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the help everyone!! :notworthy:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom