NickSwingLOW

Jul 25, 2018
south jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey people,

I have a brass "spike" here that was dug up at a pretty old site. the rest of the item is missing, whether it was a shaft or eye, I have no idea. Has anyone found something similar. is this s tent spike? And if so, why brass and why so nice?

Thank you! spike1.jpeg spike2.jpeg spike3.jpeg

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
It's the tip to a Lightning rod.

Attachments

• lightning rod.jpg
    lightning rod.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NickSwingLOW

Jul 25, 2018
south jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you are 100% CORRECT! Thank you for the picture too! That was the shortest lived mystery ever. What is the age of the one in your photo?

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
They all date into the early 1800's.
A lot more prevalent on the East coast and mid West.

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They all date into the early 1800's.
A lot more prevalent on the East coast and mid West.

there are a couple of old houses in my little town that used to have them. One was built in 1912 and the other was built around 1910. I thought they were kinda cool and gave the houses character, but they did away with them some years ago when upgrades were done to the homes. In my area, I think the height of their use was probably 1880's to 1910's, but that's also when people really began to settle in this area as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NickSwingLOW

Jul 25, 2018
south jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
there are a couple of old houses in my little town that used to have them. One was built in 1912 and the other was built around 1910. I thought they were kinda cool and gave the houses character, but they did away with them some years ago when upgrades were done to the homes. In my area, I think the height of their use was probably 1880's to 1910's, but that's also when people really began to settle in this area as well.

Thank you! I believe this tip to be off the original barn, which was reconstructed after it had burnt down in the early 40's.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions