What is your City doing to your beach?

Jaws2

Oct 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Excalibur 11, Fisher F75
Our beaches have been going through major changes the last couple of weeks, this time of year the city beach restoration program begins and it is not good for the environment and certainly effects the location of targets that have been in place for years that people like us are looking for, they wait for low tide and then with D-9 size Cat they scrape and push 1000's of yards of sand to create an areas that may be as high as 15' above the water line, 20 foot deep and may stretch as long as 300 yards. This obviously can't be good for the natural habitat that depend on and live within this area of the beach. It's amazing how a CITY can ignore or work outside the limits of the Rules and Regulations set by our State Coastal Commission and Fish and Game. An individual or a contractor would never be given a permit allowing what the city is doing; they would receive a threat by the City, County and the State along with a major fine.
F

Upvote 0
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Here in NYC at a couple beaches that really really need sand they are not doing anything until October because the possible impact on flounder and piping plover. :icon_thumright:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beaches down here are almost gone. Every 10 years or so they pump sand from offshore to "replenish" the shoreline because of so much erosion.

Attachments

• Hollywood%20Beach.jpg
    Hollywood%20Beach.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 365

arnoldziffel

Jan 8, 2010
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
right now long island is in the process of dumping tons of sand on the beach to counter the erosion from the winter storms. i was in the hamptons last weekend before the major rain storm and there was already huge piles of sand dumped, waiting to be spread out.

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasurDiggrNY said:
Here in NYC at a couple beaches that really really need sand they are not doing anything until October because the possible impact on flounder and piping plover. :icon_thumright:

Lol, Its been a while since I've lived in NY, but when I was there I remember seeing bumper stickers out on L.I.

"piping plover tastes like chicken"

T

TreasurdiggrNY

laughpound.gif

Attachments

• laughpound.gif
    laughpound.gif
    4 KB · Views: 285
  • piplover.jpg
    piplover.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 282

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out here on the North Shore of Long Island the Northfork east end some genius thought it would help erosion by chopping up plastic coated barbwire into 3 inch pieces and filling dump trucks of it and scattering it all over the beaches then drag a big rototiller behind a tractor and bury it plus its not steel its aluminum try to hunt in that ? >:( my last time on those beaches what jerks, as far as those cute lil birds i used to have a 1991 Ford Bronco all set up for fishing used just for beaches at night to surf fish on the ocean side with a permit until it was decided that piping plovers nested there and ocean turtles layed there eggs in the sand grrrrrr >:( whats left ? Dd60

arnoldziffel

Jan 8, 2010
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
i haven't run into that barbed wire yet. But one thing i see every time is this black plastic bubble like object. it's maybe 1.5" long and 3/4 wide. it almost looks like it was originally in a string of a bunch of them. but i only find one at a time. not sure what it is, but i have seen it at the beach alot. i will have to see if i notice it on other beaches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions