What is your workflow on halves?

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For all you pro's out there. Say you have a box of halves you just brought home. What is the workflow you go through in combing through them?

For example, maybe you look for silver edges first? Do you inspect all mint marks or just go by the overall look of the coin? Do you sort through them in any particular way? I am trying to find out what an efficient process may be to get the good stuff from those who have done this many times.

After opening all these rolls my plan was to just brush it all into a backpack and take it to a $0 fee coin counter…….seems pointless to try to turn them in any other way since it would involve more time.

Thanks for any tips!

Signal

Upvote 0
If you wanna talk about efficient, dont bring them home :) why lug them around more than needed...

Check the beginners guide, I had a long writeup about half hunting on page 11(i think 11)

HH

Anytime you can use a coin-counting machine is that much more time saved on your side. Besides, it prevents for the most part dumping full rolls back into the system only for some other CRH get them (maybe yourself). At least going into a large machine, the coins will at least get mixed-up with others at the coin vendor facility.

For all you pro's out there. Say you have a box of halves you just brought home. What is the workflow you go through in combing through them?

For example, maybe you look for silver edges first? Do you inspect all mint marks or just go by the overall look of the coin? Do you sort through them in any particular way? I am trying to find out what an efficient process may be to get the good stuff from those who have done this many times.

After opening all these rolls my plan was to just brush it all into a backpack and take it to a $0 fee coin counter…….seems pointless to try to turn them in any other way since it would involve more time.

Thanks for any tips!

Signal

You have to decide what you want to collect. If you want to search for doubled dies, no FGs, etc., you'll have to search every coin individually. Personally, I'm really just looking for silver. I will keep a proof if its in really good shape as well, but I have no desire to amass hundreds of them. I open the roll, check the rims and pull out anything I deem worthy of a closer inspection. I then give them to ol' sound test in my hand and pull any silver I did not see on the visual inspection. I then throw the rejects into the dump bag, while still listening - just in case.

The no fee coin counter is indeed the way to go. However, you can wear out your welcome very quickly at some banks. And before you ask, "How much is too much?", there is no correct answer. All banks and even different branches of the same bank are different when it comes to this. For example, at my very first dump bank I talked to the branch manager before dumping the first coin and had her approval to dump up to $1000 weekly through their machine. After a few weeks of dumping just $500 weekly, I was told they would no longer take "large" amounts of coin from me. I now have another dump bank that has told me on numerous occasions that I can bring in as much as I want as often as I want and it will be no problem. ~$1600 or so is the most I've hit them with, but they have been true to their word over a few year period.

I open each box and look for enders that might indicate a great, or at least a good box. If I'm going to put the coins into a bag I cut the rolls and split them open. I put the rolled line of coins into my palm and edge check, if any coin has the very slightest look it 'could' be a good coin it is looked at closely. If the palm of coins look like all clad the handful is then counted for the full 20 coins then dumped into the bag. If any roll is short or has a foreign coin I pull that coin out or add to fill the 20 count roll. If I'm going to return the box to a bank I unroll the one end of the paper roller and using one finger push the line of coins out of the roll and into my palm. Again checking the edges and if no silver found I reinsert the coins back into the same roll and put the roll back into a box. Again counting and checking for foreign coins to ensure I only return a full count of coins. The bank I use when they get a box of my coins, splits each roll and drops the coins into a bag to be sent out. All the coin machines in this area charge either 3% or 9.5% and if there was a free machine I would gladly use it. It takes a while to do a box of re-rolling, much faster for a bag. I have been doing this in this fashion for about 6 years now and so far it seems to work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back