What its like hunting an old barn foundation and what you are up against!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool ! I've wanted to take a weed eater to sites already.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been accused of weed whacking with my detector! I suppose I could attach a ceramic blade to it and do double duty.

Best of luck there, things should start getting interesting soon.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the same way. If a site looks promising ill take it all down. Sometimes all the work is worth it other times. Not so much.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never thought to bring a week wacker along. I'll have to remember that!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great_find.gif
Wow - you are devoted! Thanks for sharing...

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting cut with a sharp object while digging can certainly ruin your day. Not only around old cellar holes, but in fields also. Besides glass and sharp metal objects, I've also dug up a few broadheads. I wear these gloves made of kevlar that are pretty cut resistant. I've ran a box cutter with a new blade in it across them (without my hand in them) and it didn't even make a mark in the glove. 001.JPG

opee

Oct 26, 2009
hales corners. wi
Detector(s) used
BH and AT max
Try using vinegar about one gallon with about 2 oz of dish soap in a spray bottle. Be careful though it will kill every thing in a few days. If not you can spray it twice.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are very dedicated! We hunted a site recently where the back portion of the yard was left uncut and thought about hailing a nearby yard crew to see if they would cut it for us for around $20 but there was no one around. Still some friends pulled some good finds nonetheless. I think your site is ready to be hunted properly now.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am looking at a spot covered in saw briars and black berries, then there is the dread poison oak... got the spray for the poison oak, the machete for the rest. hope you find some really nice stuff besides the broken glass

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try using vinegar about one gallon with about 2 oz of dish soap in a spray bottle. Be careful though it will kill every thing in a few days. If not you can spray it twice.

yeah (good info) I know this works - we use it on our property for weeds. In the field, I just don't have two days to wait 70 miles away - so I use the weed wacker and then I can hunt immediately. :)

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting cut with a sharp object while digging can certainly ruin your day. Not only around old cellar holes, but in fields also. Besides glass and sharp metal objects, I've also dug up a few broadheads. I wear these gloves made of kevlar that are pretty cut resistant. I've ran a box cutter with a new blade in it across them (without my hand in them) and it didn't even make a mark in the glove.

yeah good idea (kevlar) They have these on Amazon for $12. thanks!

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting cut with a sharp object while digging can certainly ruin your day. Not only around old cellar holes, but in fields also. Besides glass and sharp metal objects, I've also dug up a few broadheads. I wear these gloves made of kevlar that are pretty cut resistant. I've ran a box cutter with a new blade in it across them (without my hand in them) and it didn't even make a mark in the glove.

Careful with the gloves still though.they'll take a slicing action no problem(most times)a stabbing action,no good,you'll still get it with the weaved ones.Even wearing the weaved ones once,i ended up getting 4 stitches.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Careful with the gloves still though.they'll take a slicing action no problem(most times)a stabbing action,no good,you'll still get it with the weaved ones.Even wearing the weaved ones once,i ended up getting 4 stitches.

yeah I think gloves will protect you in most but not all cases. This was a shard of thin plate glass and had a pointed edge - with gloves I would had been fine. But I've dug razors and knives etc., and was glad I saw them before trying to remove. No matter how excited ya get, you cannot throw safety out the window and need to keep in mind that literally anything can be under that soil.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup,I was using the weaved ones once, putting lot of pressure using a back and forth rocking pressure motion on a knife blade,my hand slipped on the blade closest to the point,the tip caught the weave,went through and dug into my palm,that was all she wrote.The knife tip went through the fat layer and into the flesh and muscle,whoops time to call it a day.:laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread