What's new

what kind of belt or pouch for waist deep water

Sandscoopdan

Sr. Member
Joined
May 19, 2012
Messages
361
Reaction score
155
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You guys have any suggestions for what kind of belt or something in waist deep water at beach? How do you guys keep from loosing detector when u use your scoop when u hit a target? Do ya clip the detector on? Was thinking bout getting fishing belt with pvc tubing to put sand scoop in and create some kind clip for detector. Not sure. I want to keep it simple.
 
Upvote 0
I keep detector in right hand, which is swinging arm, scoop with the right. Seems to work ok for me.
 
:laughing7: Dew.. I do the same thing as DewGuru, Except that I swing the detector with my right, and scoop with my Left. It is pretty easy overall.

Except in rough seas, then you need an anchor tied to your belt. I have found it easier to avoid that all together lol.
 
Some folks tether their scoop to their finds pouch belt with a dog leash. I never have. Once you work out your technique (35-hours or so), these questions will all answer themselves. Good Luck!
 
Excal in left hand, and ScoopZilla in right. By the end of the hunt I leave the surf walking crooked due to ScoopZilla!!! :skullflag:
 
I hunt with excals that have 15 inch coils custom mounted. I use a harness that hooks to shaft, it allows me to hunt all day with the large coils with no problem, a bonus of this setup is l can let go of the excal if I wish and it hangs right by my side and yet out of the way. If I need to use both hands I can....
 
Last edited:
I use a 1/4" rope tied to my detector and to my right wrist, about 2' of rope works best.
 
:laughing7: Dew.. I do the same thing as DewGuru, Except that I swing the detector with my right, and scoop with my Left. It is pretty easy overall.

Except in rough seas, then you need an anchor tied to your belt. I have found it easier to avoid that all together lol.

Ditto!
 
Depends on the detector. I use an Xcal which you can hip mount..... the cable at that point is the tether. Mine isnt hip mounted i wear a dive belt it has clips on both side. I have the detector and the scoop tethered to those clips.

Dew
 
Ahhh! A dive belt. That is a good idea. A friend of mine is hooking me up with scuba gear. I'm getting the scuba boots this wk. I'll check with him about the belt.
 
The dive belt gives you some pouches you can use for recovery with a zipper. I cut the inside to make the recovery area bigger. If it comes down to you or the equipment out there you have a quick release with a dive belt. The zipper boots are nice....easy to get off, but you do have issues with sand getting in the zippers. The short ones are a pain to get on and no matter how you try they will fill with sand and shells at the surf. Id say i let go of the scoop (that has a wooden handle) much more than the detector.

Dew
 
Yea. He gave me zipper boots. Didnt have dive belt so Still need to find a decent dive belt w zipper pouches and get couple of d-rings.
 
Last edited:
I hip mount my tiger shark and added a flotation squeegee to the arm rest so it will float and a cord tied to it.
 
I use a Kellyco mesh pouch - have for 12 yrs now
I use a scrap piece of velcro and attatch to inside velcro
so the large section stays open - opening and closing velcro for every find can be pain
I use the small inside velcro pouch or outside zipper area for my silver & gold
 
I use a zippered pouch that I manufacture and sell on eBay and through DeMarco Detector Sales. It has zippers to keep your finds from escaping. I usually keep the top zipper open a couple of inches and put all trash and coins in that main compartment. The lower compartment is reserved for special finds like gold and silver items.

On the arm cuff I have a short cord with a brass ring and a brass snap. It's all put together with nylon zip ties. This loops through the belt that the pouch is attached to. I can pull my arm out to dig and the detector is right there at waist level to use again when done scooping. There is no need for a longer cord. The detector pivots right at the arm cup. I can't imagine detecting without this.

In the pictures you can also see that I cover vulnerable sections of the cables with spiral cable wrap. This is available at Home Depot or Radio Shack.

tether1.webp

tether2.webp
 
I use a zippered pouch that I manufacture and sell on eBay and through DeMarco Detector Sales. It has zippers to keep your finds from escaping. I usually keep the top zipper open a couple of inches and put all trash and coins in that main compartment. The lower compartment is reserved for special finds like gold and silver items.

On the arm cuff I have a short cord with a brass ring and a brass snap. It's all put together with nylon zip ties. This loops through the belt that the pouch is attached to. I can pull my arm out to dig and the detector is right there at waist level to use again when done scooping. There is no need for a longer cord. The detector pivots right at the arm cup. I can't imagine detecting without this.

In the pictures you can also see that I cover vulnerable sections of the cables with spiral cable wrap. This is available at Home Depot or Radio Shack.

View attachment 645932

View attachment 645933
This is the pouch that Ken and I use and recomend it highly
 
I like that cable wrap.... cool. I knew you made a pouch John i think Dig had mentioned it during one of our hunts. Is the cable wrap stiff and does it give any additional insulation from out side interference? I ask about that because i was curious..... some guys used an insulator around their battery or control pod. Nice set up.

Dew
 
I like that cable wrap.... cool. I knew you made a pouch John i think Dig had mentioned it during one of our hunts. Is the cable wrap stiff and does it give any additional insulation from out side interference? I ask about that because i was curious..... some guys used an insulator around their battery or control pod. Nice set up.

Dew

The cable wrap does add some stiffness to the cable. I don't use it on the entire cable. I also have it on my CZ-21 which I hip mount. I put it on the part of the cable where it comes off of the shaft to keep it from flexing too much. Some of this spiral wrap is stiffer than others. So you may want to shop around.

It doesn't offer any kind of RF shielding. For that, it would have to have foil in it.
 
:hello:I just use Excalibur II 1000 and hunt very slowly with Sen Max= very deep. :laughing7:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom