🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What ring is this? Has XXX on it My little girl found it just find it interesting anyone got any ideas?

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20220312_183131.jpg
IMG-20220312-WA0014.jpg

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kieran. I just did aa quick search and first thing I found was it referred to 10k gold. I am not sure if that is correct, but one place said that. So do not take my entry as gospel.

Tell your little girl a fantastic job.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kieran. I just did aa quick search and first thing I found was it referred to 10k gold. I am not sure if that is correct, but one place said that. So do not take my entry as gospel.

Tell your little girl a fantastic job.
It doesn't have a gold look to it it looks more like a brassy copper?, can gold look like this?

Upvote 3

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't have a gold look to it it looks more like a brassy copper?, can gold look like this?
Yes I noticed it did not look gold. And like I said, do not take my post as gospel, or truth. I simply did a quick search on rings. Not gold rings. And that is what I found.

10k gold is fairly low concentration of gold. I read all kinds of comments on appearance, especially with wear and corrosion of the base metals mixed with it. Long rambling? Sorry, I tend to that when answer not clear cut to me.
Did you try to clean it? Somebody else may give you a professional answer. Gold jewelry not my forte but some good jewelry guys on here. You might ask Arc to take a look at it and give an opinion.

Upvote 5

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes I noticed it did not look gold. And like I said, do not take my post as gospel, or truth. I simply did a quick search on rings. Not gold rings. And that is what I found.

10k gold is fairly low concentration of gold. I read all kinds of comments on appearance, especially with wear and corrosion of the base metals mixed with it. Long rambling? Sorry, I tend to that when answer not clear cut to me.
Did you try to clean it? Somebody else may give you a professional answer. Gold jewelry not my forte but some good jewelry guys on here. You might ask Arc to take a look at it and give an opinion.
You're correct in the XXX or a *** mark for gold it seems.
This little ring that is posted had a gold wash, as what was used for buttons.
It has since corroded off only leaving the mark
Rings that were plated/washed/rolled gold were sold also as the real deal to unsuspecting customers.
Also there was a solid gold section-and the section of plated/washed/rolled gold for those that had little money.
Here's a ***mark but in a 14K
20220313_073421.jpg

Upvote 6

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check with Cru on this one,seeing that this is a UK find.. Seems much older than is speculated. I am not so sure that really old gold was marked for its purity.It could be bronze and the marks cou,d mean something entirely different.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lol its a strange one, I'm not sure how to tag him in the post

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check with Cru on this one,seeing that this is a UK find.. Seems much older than is speculated. I am not so sure that really old gold was marked for its purity.It could be bronze and the marks cou,d mean something entirely different.
Thanks mate not sure how to tag him in the post

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're correct in the XXX or a *** mark for gold it seems.
This little ring that is posted had a gold wash, as what was used for buttons.
It has since corroded off only leaving the mark
Rings that were plated/washed/rolled gold were sold also as the real deal to unsuspecting customers.
Also there was a solid gold section-and the section of plated/washed/rolled gold for those that had little money.
Here's a ***mark but in a 14K
View attachment 2015306
Thank you very much for commenting helps alot

Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As per, your todays post. I think it was once plated & 19th C is most likely.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread