What's new

What sand scoop to get?

CaptainPooka

Greenie
Joined
Feb 3, 2014
Messages
13
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I dig it just makes sense to get a sand scoop. I look on ... some.. websites and there are a ton. They're all a little different and the price just goes up in like 5$ increments. Mostly what I go through is dry sand with a little wet sand. I find my targets are 6-8 inches deep most of the time. What do you guys think?

They're all aluminum that I've looked up. Is that durable? I need one with a handle. Some have adjustable handles, bigger scoops... I'm just asking for experience here. Some have extra aluminum going from the handle to the scoop I guess adding durability, but they're double the price. I don't want to buy the 80$ one if it's going to break with me using it as a shovel.

There's a 36" beachmaster BIG adjustable all-aluminum sand scoop that I'm looking at currently..

Thanks! I wouldn't be asking this and usually just buy one, but there are SO many and they're all so close to each other!
 
You will get more responses if you post this in the 'Beach and Shallow Water' forum. Personally, I would invest a little more $$ in a quality stainless steel scoop. A bit heavier, but will last way longer.
 
Well this will be a heavily visited thread for sure. Sand scoops are just like detectors or any other tool. The better the equipment one uses the better the results will usually be. As Fitz says the stainless ones are often the best if you plan to use it a lot. Good scoops are expensive, no way around it. My vote for a great dry and wet sand scoop is the Stavr Evroexcavator 2.2, but there are many out there and it may well be that it is like cars, some folks like Fords, others prefer Chevys, and still others like Toyotas. Look at the different ones available, read as much as you can about them and you'll find one that suits your needs and wallet.
 
Can you get to a detector store and do some hands on looking at the scoops that way you can feel the weight and check out the edge of the scoop, and balance?
 
I picked up a reasonably priced SS Jets Scoop at Kellyco and added a piece of electrical conduit for a longer handle. I painted it with that yellow plastic dip that I thinned for painting.( You can now get it in a spray can). That was 12 years ago, and it is still scooping. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom