What should I buy?

beeman553

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Teknetics Gamma 6000, AT PRO, Garrett ACE 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The amount of information out there about metal detectors is astounding! I am just a few months into the hobby, but have had a MD since the 1980s. Time now allows me to invest more into this hobby. I purchased a Gamma 6000 late 2012 and have had some success. I think I need a better coil, but unsure about spending more money on this unit. I have looked at the Teknetics T2, AT PRO, Garrett GTI 2500, and many more. I am much interested in the CTX 3030, but unsure if the additional money is worth what I will be getting. I need some input into what or where I should go now. The CTX 3030 may seen too much of a machine for me now, but I feel as if time spent in the field is worthy of the best machine I can acquire. And this is a hobby my wife and I will be doing for years to come. ANY input on what I need to buy will be appreciated. By the way, I live in central Alabama, mineralization is a problem at times. Lots of trash metal most places I go. Good possibility of some beach combing as well. Thanks...

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beeman533

white's pulse scan sl
it will smoke any other detector on the market at or below it's cost
white's make more detector than any other brand
It will eat any garret..tesoro.minelab..bounty hunter..fisher..tecknetics
depends how you set it up
it will only find what you want
the best when it comes mineral soil

OP
OP
B

beeman553

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beeman533

white's pulse scan sl
it will smoke any other detector on the market at or below it's cost
white's make more detector than any other brand
It will eat any garret..tesoro.minelab..bounty hunter..fisher..tecknetics
depends how you set it up
it will only find what you want
the best when it comes mineral soil

Other than the price, what features does the White have that may set it apart? I owned a White probably 20 years ago and know they have some nice products.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go to white's Electronics and look it up
but it can be set too only find low conducting metals or high conducting metals or iron only
plus it will go down a bout 18 inches on a nickle
over loads on a tree ring bullet a eight to nine inches
there isn't any other detector on the market at that price that can do that
you tube has a few videos on it
the pro is better but that cost more

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beeman553

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks liftloop. I am looking into the features on this machine now. Not sure why during my searching I didn't run across this unit already.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Pulse Induction unit is VERY deep, but does NOT discriminate out iron, tin foil, anything. Works great on wet saltwater sand and in saltwater, but in the dirt and dry sand you dig EVERYTHING. Muti-frequency VLF also works in wet saltwater sand, and in highly mineralized soils. Single-freq VLF machines DO NOT work at peak performance in Saltwater, or wet saltwater sand (too conductive).

I suggest a machine that you can manually ground balance for maximum depth like the Tesoro Vaquero, or Minelab Xterra 505 at the low end, or a Minelab Safari or Explorer SE Pro at around $1,000 - $1,200.00

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the wonderful process of choosing a detector! I don't think one detector is perfect for every detecting situation. That is why there are so many different kinds and types. So, you decide what you are mainly going to use it for, water hunting, relic hunting, coin shooting, nugget hunting, etc. If you are mainly after coins, especially silver, you cannot go wrong with the Minelab E-trac or SE.

OP
OP
B

beeman553

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I could never go wrong with the E-trac, so many being used by experienced users. Still, any opinion on the CTX 3030? I feel like now maybe it is not worth the price for what you get. I am in no hurry to buy, so I have time to evaluate and research each unit. Also, would it benefit me now to upgrade the coil on my Gamma 6000? I only have the standard 8 inch coil. Can't find a lot on the machine, but what I do gives the machine high marks. What coil would benefit me? Thanks...

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I don't know anything about the 6000, I have used smaller coils to great benefit in trashy areas for better target separation. However, in my opinion, unless you are going to be hunting vast areas of land a larger coil can have more drawbacks than benefits. They tend to lack sensitivity to smaller targets and have a tendency to "mask" more targets in iron infested areas, not to mention harder to pinpoint with.

OP
OP
B

beeman553

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much, thrillathahunt. A slow and maticlous I am now, a smaller coin may help. So much trash at the sites I visit. Thanks to all so far for the advice. I want the best detector for my area and I am still open for any advice. With the ctx 3030 that I have looked at, I have set the price limit to 2500 dollars. Seems crazy to spend that much, so I am taking this process of selection with lots of advice and research. I believe not that I can get as good machine for much less. So keep the advice coming. I am researching each and every unit that I have been advised on. Again, thanks...

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much, thrillathahunt. A slow and maticlous I am now, a smaller coin may help. So much trash at the sites I visit. Thanks to all so far for the advice. I want the best detector for my area and I am still open for any advice. With the ctx 3030 that I have looked at, I have set the price limit to 2500 dollars. Seems crazy to spend that much, so I am taking this process of selection with lots of advice and research. I believe not that I can get as good machine for much less. So keep the advice coming. I am researching each and every unit that I have been advised on. Again, thanks...
Have you considered the XP Deus...seems you have a good budget.

SS

OP
OP
B

beeman553

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looked the Deus up. Like the wireless feature. I will do some research tomorrow. Thanks...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions