What Sluice to use for the Colorado Rocky Mountians

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Pueblo CO and Pensacola FL
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro 6X10 DD and 4X6 DD coils and coil covers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have done a lot of research and still do not know what to buy.
I seen everything from a gold cube to a Keene units.

I was thinking of a Keene A51 or they have something newer now it seams by looking threw there catalogue.

Maybe an option of something that could be upgrade in the future would be nice but not necessary.

Sure could use some input on this.:thumbsup:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gtxkid,
I use a Keene A52 sluice. It is about 4' long and works very well for all types of gold. The reason I chose it is that with a few accessories I can convert it into either a small dredge or a high banker. Very versital unit. Hope this helps.
Good Luck!
B H Prospector

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes it does Thank You.
How is it different than the new one in the i wonder.

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gtxkid I went with Royal 24 inch. Real nice gals and shipped on time. Got mine today cant want to try it out good luck

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hunted around and seams guys are using all sorts of stuff in Colorado.
I see a lot of like 4 foot one's and notice this Gold Cube is getting popular too.

bigjoek

Feb 2, 2013
Angus mackirk. Works awesome hardly spend any time out of the water. 30 second clean out. Very forgiving on setup

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From what I have seen here in CO, people are converting from Keene to Angus Mackirk (light weight and low cost) or Gold Cube (higher production and pump driven...really a high banker). I think fluid bed sluices like Bazooka will also be big here over time. If you really want an aluminum sluice, get a Wolftrap as they have drop riffles which you really want here. Wolf traps are made here just outside Denver too by a guy that knows the conditions here...as is the Gold Cube.

You can make an old school A52 work well here but why bother to learn the intricacies of it when there are better designs out there these days?

Full disclosure: I have personally worked with all the equipment I mentioned except the Wolftrap. I am friends with one of the guys who invented the Gold Cube.

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin
OH I thought the A52 was a newer design.
What units do you like.

Bigjoek suggest to look at Angus, i did on the 9th last week.
Good response: Asked me Tell me a little more about the terrain at your claim.
For example; is there moving water there?
is the material Sandy or Earthen or Clay or Gravel?
I will get back with him.
I feel it is better for you guys to advise me because you are in the area and or using them out in the field.
Have you ever bought something and wish you would of listened to learn.
Unless i am missing something they seam cheep.

I like idea of having to be able build upon it if need be B H Prospector

I have looked at:
Pro
Gold
Genie
Royal
Angus
Keene
And even tho not a sluice also the gold cube.

I have no idea what i am doing to be honest and have researched the heck out of them.
Lot of You tube video's too.
I see where 1 inch per foot setup is a good place to start and watching the water very close to make Sure it does not boil the gold out and so on and so on.

bigjoek

Feb 2, 2013
Honestly my friend there is not a lot to a sluice. The old timers wood just nail some wood riffles in and go. Companys are preying on miners. With new designs and what nots and have yous. Its the ease of use we are looking for. My friends sluice is 90 degree flatbar over astro turf. And was catcbing just as much gold as I was with my angus . And my 45º degree riffle sluice. I like the angus less time out of water light easty to pack. Effective , and ypu can damn near run it without any slope. Very forgiving.

bigjoek

Feb 2, 2013
Oh yeah and you can see whats going on in the riffles. With carpet its kinda hard

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is very interesting to me because my mom is 74 will be getting out of breast sergery today and wants to go for the first time soon as she heals up.
She has an old claim that here parents had back in the day and is filling out the paper work last few weeks.
The idea of a lighter unit that works just as good is interesting.
Thankyou

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You asked which model...I have the Expedition but there are several good ones for $100 or less.

Here in Denver they are (sometimes) in stock at Gold-N-Detectors in Golden. I have heard that some of the outdoorsman's shops also carry 1 or 2 models of Angus Mackirk sluices.

If money is an issue, look on ebay or Craig's list. I got my Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector that way for half price :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Money is not an issue.
They all seam to be around a 50.00 to 150.00
Exception gold cube and that.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In that case get:

1. A small/medium sized Mackirk for low flow situations you backpack in to.
2. The Bazooka Prospector for higher volume water since it will take all you can throw at it!! (No classifying, just dig til you drop!!)
3. AND the gold cube with the topper for the times you call wheel your gear to the river or have friends to help carry and dig (also a great way to process cons at home)

...and all your friends will be jealous ;-)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Kev im assuming you know Red! i had the privilage of going out to dinner with him,Mike Pung and his wife and Walt W.(PLP vice prez) during the St.Joseph gold show Nov. 2012. and i ended up getting the Gold Cube 4 stack delux and im very impressed with it!ill be hauling it around this year for sure!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, I work closely with Red on Gold Unlimited and have had the pleasure of seeing him perform with his old rock band on stage (private parties, sorry folks!)...he is very multitalented! Great guy all around. Met Mike a couple times on the stream here in CO, etc but don't really know him that well...maybe this summer!

I just need to add you to my prospector friends Russ! So tell us again about your plans to move this direction?!!?

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a buddy who uses a wolf trap sluice, he gets a lot of gold with it. I noticed the unit is kinda heavy like my a51.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wolftrap is another good choice:

- made in CO by a longtime prospector with lots of connections in the mining community - a real straight shooter
- one of the only/best metal drop riffle sluices
- flare folds for easy packing but nice and solid when unfolded unlike some folding sluices
- Removable riffles are also repositionable for faster vs. slower water ....but still needs more water than a modest sized Angus Mackirk
- extensively used and endorsed by Tom Massie on Gold Fever ( ok that might encourage or discourage you! LOL!)

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well this sums it up: http://www.goldhog.com/goldhogtips.pdf
I think you guys should read this.
It really does make sense to me.
Seams like reviews are also high on it as well.
So it looks like i can barrow a wolf. But now seriously thinking of making my own DIY.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread