What's new

What time of day do you go detecting

Carson Coin Master

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2007
Messages
419
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have a question for you members out there that have the best experience hunting local beaches. I live about 20 minutes from Beautiful Lake Tahoe and for those of you familiar with it, the place is a tourist trap for the rich and poor alike, that like to lose lot's of stuff. anyway this time of year the beaches are absolutely packed umbrella to umbrella and I obviously can't detect with so many people in the way. so what is the best time to go? mornings? evenings? :icon_scratch: weekdays or weekend? i have always waited later in the year when it cools down and the beaches are empty is this a bad idea? am I just letting the other guys get the good stuff first??? ???
 
go out at sun up until the crowd's start wondering threw or it gets to hot ,or I hunt at night after dark start around 10 pm,then I hunt until about 2-3 am.
 
When I was in VI I notice that around 5 in the evening was a good time to go. The people would start leaving and as it was getting to be supper time. Plus it is getting cooler. I did notice that there was other detectist coming out in the evening. Plus there was a few that would hunt in the early morning. So which ever time you think is best for you.
 
plehbah said:
I am kidding you.

I only hunt in the rain in order to avoid heckling.

unfortunately we don't get that much rain here in Northern Nevada only about 6-7 inches a year. so that won't work.
 
Tank69 said:
go out at sun up until the crowd's start wondering threw or it gets to hot ,or I hunt at night after dark start around 10 pm,then I hunt until about 2-3 am.

do you wear a head lamp so you can see? I would hate having to fumble around with a darn flashlight.
 
I do most of my hunting on beaches and I like to go early (0500 or so) on weekday mornings. I have several reasons for this:

1. It's way to early for most beach goers.
2. It's a weekday so there are going to be fewer people.
3. The weekend, when most people go, is over so more chances at finding stuff.

Having said that I will also head out to the same areas about 2000 to avoid crowds and I wear a lightweight headlamp. But, the main factor in determining when I go is something that you don't have to worry about, the tide.


Michael
 
When my wife lets me :laughing9:..........NGE
 
if you go at night hunt with a friend... HH socks
 
longsocks (socks)© said:
if you go at night hunt with a friend... HH socks


usually if i go hunt a spot in an area i don't trust or if i end up going at night i bring a 2 buddies Smith & Wesson :laughing7:
 
I used to live up at Tahoe. There are only 2 seasons there: moderately warm and really cold. Maybe you are MDing around South Lake Tahoe (?)--the big city. Try wearing a speedo when you detect; that'll drive the crowds away; or maybe early morning, before the hangovers start to wear off.
 
Johnnysan said:
I used to live up at Tahoe. There are only 2 seasons there: moderately warm and really cold. Maybe you are MDing around South Lake Tahoe (?)--the big city. Try wearing a speedo when you detect; that'll drive the crowds away; or maybe early morning, before the hangovers start to wear off.

haha if i wore a speedo i would probably get arrested lol
 
Being retired I go when ever I feel like it. Most days I will got for about 2 or 3 hours in mid afternoon. We have so many local parks and beaches here in Wisconsin, that I do not usually run into to many people. I told the wife more then once that I was going to get up and go out around 5 AM or so, but so far at that time I usually turn over and go back to bed LOL . Maybe one day I will get up and try it early in the morning...If I would g up for a early hunt it would be to check out the tot lots,, before the little ones get to them.. Shane :)
 
:icon_thumright:.....I carry a mini mag light on my belt for when I need it an am in the midst of making a bracket for my detector shaft so I can mount a miners light like you wear on your head under my control unit .I'll post pictures of it when I get it done.
 
Tank69 said:
:icon_thumright:.....I carry a mini mag light on my belt for when I need it an am in the midst of making a bracket for my detector shaft so I can mount a miners light like you wear on your head under my control unit .I'll post pictures of it when I get it done.


sweet :headbang: thanks
 
I would start my hunt in the early evenings before anyone else gets to it.
 
My wife goes to bed late...about 11:00pm//Later..when I hear her snoring...I go through her purse for loose change.

Trust me..it adds up over a year!

HH
 
BillyBudd said:
My wife goes to bed late...about 11:00pm//Later..when I hear her snoring...I go through her purse for loose change.

Trust me..it adds up over a year!

HH

hahaha thats funny right there. :laughing9:
 
lmfao .....................BillyBudd I want your number Bro I wanna call about 11:15 an see if lets you keep huntin lol
 
I've been to beaches so packed that I didn't detect, not wanting to ding in peoples faces.
A weekday usually takes the edge off the crowd just about anywhere ,,, And early or late too.
I second the 5pm option, folks usually start calling it a day about then after soaking up sun for hours.
Kiddies are tired and want a good meal, ect.

I'm a big fan of night detecting also and yes, a LED headlamp is a must.
 
I advise you carry something for protection. I have a long filet knife that I found in the surf I carry at night. It looks like it was in the water for awhile, but is long and sharp. I had a life guard ask me what it was for one time at dusk, before the beach closed, I told him sharks, land and sea. He smiled and told me to be careful.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom