What to Carry in the Field and Other Thoughts

• Thread starter Deleted member 103125
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103125

Being a Dumb Noob, I have lots of questions that many would find fatuous. So, bear with me please ! There are metal Detecting APPS for my MOTOROLA MotoZ; are they any good ? When going out for a day of Detecting what should a person carry in their kit ? OK, I pack food, water, mud boots [ WELLIES in the UK ], waterproof gloves, flashlight, a GPS, and FRS walkie-talkies to keep in touch with nearby fellow Diggers. Might also start bringing along a blunt-end SCUBA pry-bar/knife, soil moisture/pH meter, PINPOINTER, DIGI-VID CAM, some PARACORD 550, waterproof note/log book, mallet/hand axe, section of straightened coat hanger marked with probe depth, and a basic tool kit. Have been considering a big-wheeled travel cart to carry most of the above when I trek a bit away from the car. An old arthritic coot, I might also start bringing a gripper "claw", cane, folding chair, lighted digital hand magnifier and GEIGER COUNTER. Would a noodle strainer/ sifter be useful ? Speaking of canes, my Wizard's Walking Staff is almost done. It will be sporting a somewhat rusty nut socket on its' "business end", while the other end will probably bear a high-strength NEODYMIUM RARE EARTH MAGNET for attracting ferrous materials. Cheap source for magnets is the KLYSTRON TUBE in a wrecked microwave oven. Should I carry Nylon, Brass, and Steel Bristled Brushes ?
Any other suggestions ? What might you think of melding DETECTING with GEOCACHING ( https://www.geocaching.com ) ? For die-hard treasure seekers, an interesting high-tech tools might be a "DORY" from https://www.chasing.com, and even a QUADCOPTER DRONE . If a "TEAM" rotating responsibilities went Detecting, one person could handle the Detector while others concentrate on running the accessories. THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ MY MULTIFARIUS and MIRTHFUL MUSINGS 8-)

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a Dumb Noob, I have lots of questions that many would find fatuous. So, bear with me please ! There are metal Detecting APPS for my MOTOROLA MotoZ; are they any good ? When going out for a day of Detecting what should a person carry in their kit ? OK, I pack food, water, mud boots [ WELLIES in the UK ], waterproof gloves, flashlight, a GPS, and FRS walkie-talkies to keep in touch with nearby fellow Diggers. Might also start bringing along a blunt-end SCUBA pry-bar/knife, soil moisture/pH meter, PINPOINTER, DIGI-VID CAM, some PARACORD 550, waterproof note/log book, mallet/hand axe, section of straightened coat hanger marked with probe depth, and a basic tool kit. Have been considering a big-wheeled travel cart to carry most of the above when I trek a bit away from the car. An old arthritic coot, I might also start bringing a gripper "claw", cane, folding chair, lighted digital hand magnifier and GEIGER COUNTER. Would a noodle strainer/ sifter be useful ? Speaking of canes, my Wizard's Walking Staff is almost done. It will be sporting a somewhat rusty nut socket on its' "business end", while the other end will probably bear a high-strength NEODYMIUM RARE EARTH MAGNET for attracting ferrous materials. Cheap source for magnets is the KLYSTRON TUBE in a wrecked microwave oven. Should I carry Nylon, Brass, and Steel Bristled Brushes ?
Any other suggestions ? What might you think of melding DETECTING with GEOCACHING ( https://www.geocaching.com ) ? For die-hard treasure seekers, an interesting high-tech tools might be a "DORY" from https://www.chasing.com, and even a QUADCOPTER DRONE . If a "TEAM" rotating responsibilities went Detecting, one person could handle the Detector while others concentrate on running the accessories. THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ MY MULTIFARIUS and MIRTHFUL MUSINGS 8-)
How about the kitchen sink?:laughing7: You got about every thing else.Seriously,some band aids in several sizes,the heavy duty ones,and iodine for cuts. Maybe a Army surplus 106mm recoiless rifle for any wee beasties you might encounter?:laughing7: Have a good time buddy,and enjoy your self.Good luck! Enjoyed your post!

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
no you do not have everything
a 45 ACP in a shoulder holster for varmints LOL

seriously though you listed just about everything you can LOL a predator tools shovel would also probably be good

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, heck no, you'll soon learn you want to travel as light as possible! The up and down to dig is tiresome enough! Detector, pinpointer, your shovel, gloves, cell phone a snack and some water. I carry most all of it in my backpack.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do nopt carry much with me . A friend of mine taught me to have a plastic tote box in my car that has anything i might possibly want or need. Some of the things in the box are a spray bottle of water, @ battery power banks. Charge cords for my detectors , so if need be i can hook up to a power bank. Extra batterieds for my pinpointers, Red Book , screwdrivers and minor tools, Magnifying glass, always have a few coins like i am hoping to find to test my equipment. Now most of this stuff stays in my tote bin in my car if needed. i also have a manual for what ever detector i am using . Hope this help[s

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes man your gonna need a tractor trailer for all that stuff ???

usafaviator

Greenie
Feb 8, 2011
One thing I learned after roughly 5 years of solid deployments was to pack as light as possible. We had a guy on one of my first deployments that brought a whole trunk of books to read (he was pretty clueless as to what deploying to a war front meant), but by his 4th deployment he only had one pack and one bag of uniforms like the rest of us.
You learn as you go what you actually need versus what you brought and eventually whittle it down to the exact minimum you need for an effective and comfortable hunt. One thing to consider is that the more you carry, the more you become a target for people looking to roll you for your gear. And the more gear you carry, the quicker you get tired and thus become an even easier target for criminals (and bears, dogs, etc.). Aside from my detector, a Pinpointer, and a digger, my cellphone and Glock are my most important carry items. YMMV.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If close to a road or civilization(with in a 1/2 mile or so) I leave everything in my car but detector, shovel, pouch, pin pointer, water. In my car I have a backpack that has first aid kit, some basic items like paracord, a larger knife(i carry a pocket knife and lighter 365 days a year), rain coat, batteries, and a few other odds and ends. Basically I have a back pack that would keep me alive for a week minus the water. I rarely have to bring the backpack along. Also if going deep, let someone know where you intend to go and when you intend to come back and park the car on the side of the road you walk in from in case someone needs to come looking.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry Gare, there are no mountain lions in Ohio.
ARE YOU SURE ?
We have had mountain lions in Ohio They escaped from people that had them as pets or what ever. Near the southern middle part of Ohio about 15 to 20 years AGO I THINK THEY SHOT AND KILLED OVER 20 African lions and tigers a sick person turned loose from his zoo

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe 25 years ago near where i live the Carroll county shot and killed a Mountain lion that had escaped and attacked it's owner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread