What's new

What to do??? Coin machine Mess Up

engine 823

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
312
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, ACE 150
Well I took a box of dimes, short .20 cents and about 95 dollars worth of nickles the other day to my dump bank. I had searched the dimes which were in a sealed box to start with and also searched the 100 dollars in nickles which were hand rolled. I don't know exactly what the amount was I was dumping but I could guess really close. About 345.00 dollars.

The teller comes out and counts out $460.60 !!!!! Now I know I only had dimes and nickles and even if there was a few extra in the hand rolls there was not that many.
I didn't say anything because I didn't know how they could ever recount it since it dumps it in the bags with other coins from other customers.
WHAT to DO ??
 
Upvote 0
Its the banks fault, they need to clean their machine more often. If it was gonna come out of the tellers pocket I would have spoke up but its not. My advice- get another couple boxes and dump again tomarrow before they fix it. HH Mark
 
engine 823 said:
I don't know exactly what the amount was I was dumping but I could guess really close. About 345.00 dollars.
WHAT to DO ??

Even if you knew the exact amount, who would they credit the money to?

Chances are, the prior person(s) who used the machine were shorted to some extent and your coins knocked through some extras that were not counted before. If that is the case, the bank will not get shorted, and there is no way to prove who the extra money belonged to.

If you keep searching dimes long enough you will probably be the victim of being shorted yourself (every time I did dimes I got shorted, thus I only did them a couple of times).

I don't have any advice for you one way or the other, but since you don't know the exact amount you dumped, I don't see how you can remedy the situation.

Jim
 
I agree! Thanks Guys! Just wanted some opinions from fellow coin roll hunters! ;D
 
Coin machines are not perfect. You will get screwed over another day. No worries here as it all evens out in the end if you search a lot.


Maine_Jim
 
Well I suppose you could report it, but the money is yours till someone else claims it I would think.

How's that for a can of worms FFD ? lol.

Mojo
 
Well, how about this: who knows what the heck happened? At least it appears to be in your favor.
 
coinmojo said:
Well I suppose you could report it, but the money is yours till someone else claims it I would think.

How's that for a can of worms FFD ? lol.

Mojo
Heh-heh, did I even read the original post?
 
???
I don't get the can of worms FFD? Is a pleasant surprise for the coin machine to work in my favor for a change!! For sure since it earned me $100.00 plus!
 
think of it as a "bank bailout rebate" -- as a tax payor you have paid plenty over the last few years for
the bail out
 
Bank stimulus, take it. nothing you can really do about it now
 
engine 823 said:
Well I took a box of dimes, short .20 cents and about 95 dollars worth of nickles the other day to my dump bank. I had searched the dimes which were in a sealed box to start with and also searched the 100 dollars in nickles which were hand rolled. I don't know exactly what the amount was I was dumping but I could guess really close. About 345.00 dollars.

The teller comes out and counts out $460.60 !!!!! Now I know I only had dimes and nickles and even if there was a few extra in the hand rolls there was not that many.
I didn't say anything because I didn't know how they could ever recount it since it dumps it in the bags with other coins from other customers.
WHAT to DO ??

Personally, anything that far off I would mention. Even if you mention it, it is quite possible that the bank will tell you to keep the amount as they have no idea exactly what you had. And you don't have to admit that to what the amount is, just that you know it is more than you could have possibly have had. Most likely the machine needs to be cleaned or recalibrated.

You never know what'll happen if you mention it.

I received a bag of dimes that had about $100 extra in it. I told the bank about it and in the end they just told me to keep it. I have had the same thing happen many times with extra $5 or so, same thing.

They (usually) appreciate knowing when their machine is malfunctioning so they can make it accurate.
 
Just don't complain when you get shorted !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom