What's new

What tribe and how old?

NCHomesteader

Greenie
Joined
Feb 26, 2017
Messages
16
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this one over 10 years ago on my dad's property thank's to the crayfish that placed this on top of his mound by the pond! What ya think? DSC00514.webp I know the ears are broke and its made out of flint, but that's it lol, thanks
 
Upvote 0
it looks like a knife and may not have had ears.
 
Was it found in North Carolina? Also wondering about the size. Awesome to have a find with such an interesting story!
 
Hey, yeah I forgot a size reference lol. It is a little over 2 inches in length and yes, it was found in what we in Boone call the "foothills" in Caldwell County before coming up the mountain.
 
It's almost impossible to give it a type name when the base is missing but it's pretty cool and I think the Cherokee lived in that area but might have been Catawba and allies. If you visit a local museum they can tell you there.
 
Last edited:
Nice find ! From the photo it looks sorta like jasper, which I would think might be unusual for that area. It doesn't appear to fit well into any of the "classic" point styles I am familiar with from NC. so I would just generically call it a constricting stem point, and would broadly date it from 1000 to 4000 years old. I think it would pre-date any of the tribal affiliations reported from the European contact period.
I wish I could train the crawdads around here to elevate artifacts from the earth. HH
 
Redbeardrelics that would be something else lol!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom