JonG

Feb 1, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 60's my father traded artifacts with a well known collector in Ohio. Pops passed a number of years ago, and my mother decided to start sending me some of his collection last week. Yesterday I received a large axe. Can anyone help me identify the stone? It's a mottled green/tan colored hard stone. This is a picture of the handle. She's looking thru his papers to see if he can find who he got it from, or any other information. I want to do a little more research to see if there's a possibility that it's genuine, or an early reproduction.
handle1.jpg
handle2.jpg

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the looks of your picture I would venture to guess that is Monolithic Axe, correct? I can't help you on the material. I live in Ohio and have collected for 50+ years and I have never seen that material here. Someone may come along that recognizes it for you though. Maybe Joshua Ream or Matt Rowe will see it.

Now, for the Axe. If it is the real deal and whole you just found an early retirement ticket. Those are about as rare as they come, but also one of the most highly faked artifacts because of their rarity and value. I hope yours is the real deal.

Could you show us pictures on the entire pieces from several different angles? Thank you.

OP
OP
JonG

JonG

Feb 1, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the looks of your picture I would venture to guess that is Monolithic Axe, correct?

Yes, you are correct, and it's whole. After doing some research online, see that the chances of it being the real aren't too good. The stone looks similar to what I've seen called Porphyry.

I'll take some pictures and see what the group thinks.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you are correct, and it's whole. After doing some research online, see that the chances of it being the real aren't too good. The stone looks similar to what I've seen called Porphyry.

I'll take some pictures and see what the group thinks.

I thought Porphyry at first as well, but I have never seen it that dark of color. It is usually a bluish color with the light or dark spots in it. This Axe is made from Granite Porphyry.

Attachments

• Axe25.jpg
    Axe25.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 70

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets see the whole piece. Many have been faked but many have been real to. If real I cant afford it.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
double post

OP
OP
JonG

JonG

Feb 1, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies for not posting these sooner, but I've been on vacation.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It almost looks like soapstone that has been oiled or stained.

Probably not authentic (the material and the form are wrong), but maybe your pops got lucky and ended up with something really nice.

OP
OP
JonG

JonG

Feb 1, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I read online, the more I lean to it not being authentic.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never seen 1 with a hole drilled in the handle before so Im leaning towards not real but it would still make a nice add to the collection. Probably still worth a pretty penny just not thousands.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never knew that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread