PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was scouting an area that a map from the 1870s said had a house on it. Went to the spot and found this. Is it possible this is what was marked on the map, or do you think a house was close by. The floor is flooded, some flowing water around the whole structure.

dfcb37d900d4bd53b356c9d7ea907fbf.jpg

Sent from my N800 using Tapatalk

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Perchance a well or spring house?...d2

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking spring house. Right next to a good size creek

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good sign a house was near right?

Upvote 0

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bet there was a house right close...d2

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Spring house sounds good.
For domestic use or..if dairy cattle existed in numbers a good place to cool milk cans before transporting them.
Looks small to be an ice house by the time sawdust or other insulation was packed in.

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The root cellar if water run through it

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems liked the water was flowing around it more so than through it. I think the water was inside because there is no door left on it. This structure is actually not far off the road, not exactly hiding. I might take a detector to it, might not.... hard to say if it will be worth it or not unless I actually do it. I imagine it's been hit over the years... There were other structures in the same general area as well that I might hit. The underbrush is a bit dense though.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking spring house. (stone construction to keep in the cold, no windows, open door, flowing water..)
And if so, the house and/or barn would be nearby but still far enough away to prevent the animals from contaminating the water.

The house would also been on a higher elevation if the area is prone to flooding.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe this structure was used by local government for water quality testing, monitoring well, etc...
But if so, I would think it would at least some evidence of electrical power - unless the measurements being made didn't require power (i.e., manual recorders / instruments).
It looks like there might be a padlock on the left side door frame?
I can't tell by the photo, but if the door frame looks modern, (maybe complete with modern hinges or hinge hole patterns), then I might be inclined away from thinking "spring house".

Upvote 0

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
That looks a lot like the one that used to be on my farm. It was both a spring house and a well house. Spring still runs to this day, well hasn't been used for decades. It never had a door on it. Had a fence around it to keep the cows out. Used to scare the doo doo out of me if I had to go check on it. Was always on the look out for snakes.

Like said our old house sat above it and maybe 50 yards away. Some of the sweetest water you ever drank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny.. this little guy was not far from the door!
ebad4a5791fc8327249978a319768307.jpg

Upvote 0

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
There's always a giant serpent guarding the treasure :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the weather warms up, I'll check this area out again. I'm thinking the house was about 30-50 yards away farther up the hill. The area this is in, is just too wet to think a house would have been there and too close to the creek. I'm sure that area floods. I also have to scout out the area where the hotel was, a few grist mills, and several other house sites that are long gone. Even a school house. This is all within a state park that allows detecting.

Upvote 0

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Ah but you need to think when the house was there. Nature and man change things. That area could have been dry as a bone when the house was there.
Somebody might have dammed up a stream or creek or old mother nature changed the route of such, and what was once dry is now wet, or visa versa.

Something else, other then the one large tree in the background, most of the ones in the picture are not that large.
Those trees aren't that old as compared to the big one. So they are a more recent part of the event of change.

Need to look at the big picture to see the details sometimes. If you are in PA, that could have easily been strip mined for coal, I've got spots on mine where such was done when I was a wee lad, and the trees there are similar in size to those in the picture.

Funny there is/was a bit of an apple orchard by the spring at my place. The one tree closest to the spring is nearly 4 feet in diameter. It's been there a long long time. The other trees of different species farther away barely are a foot across.

Maybe take a look at the Penn Pilots site, lot of nice aerial maps of Pa, going back to the 1930's.
Might give you a look see into the past, and you may see a lot more info of the area.

http://www.pennpilot.psu.edu/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Something else I just thought of. The structure itself can tell you a lot. Like when it was built and by whom.
My old Grandpap taught me that. Masons are very strict in their buildings. Each has a signature of who built it by the construction.

If you look at the stones, you will see a common scheme in the lay out. And how the grout was done. Each mason had his scheme/signature lay out of the stones. You'll find some with the squared off stones, plain old field stones, and a mix of different kinds. On my farm when the house was built the mason included a large triangle shaped stone in each side of the home, all the stones show their face. He did a few other homes in the area of his time, and all of them have this signature. Right down the road is my Great Uncle's place, built by a different mason. The stone placement is entirely different, most of the stones were laid on their side like bricks.

Find similar signatures and you can track down the mason, and the time he did his work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread