What's new

What was this chain used for

foundation hunter

Full Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2009
Messages
193
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Terryville
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Found this at a 1740s site about 12 inches down,made out of brass or copper,chain is 42 inches long.
 

Attachments

  • chain 002.webp
    chain 002.webp
    112.7 KB · Views: 381
  • chain 005.webp
    chain 005.webp
    80.7 KB · Views: 387
I would bet that it is a window sash chain
 
Upvote 0
It's called sash chain. Still sold today. I've saw a piece today on a drop leaf desk. Tony
 
Upvote 0
You can buy this type chain at the hardware stores but I think modern versions are steel. No clue what age this one may be? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Also used on old animal traps such as newhouse brand and others before about 1930. On the ones I have that use that type chain, the chain is of steel links though.
 
Upvote 0
Used on some older hanging lamps.
 
Upvote 0
it's a sash chain, I just finished a demo job that all the windows had them. the weights in the sides actually had the
#'s stamped on them
 
Upvote 0
Sniffer said:
it's a sash chain, I just finished a demo job that all the windows had them. the weights in the sides actually had the
#'s stamped on them

Yup .. I have replaced many feet of it during restorations over the years. It is used for many things, but it was designed to be used as sash chain.
 
Upvote 0
the house I pulled it out of was built in the 50's and the chains still had a pretty good shine to them
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is this?
Replies
8
Views
557
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED From a shipwreck
Replies
2
Views
453

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom