Apr 25, 2018
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 400
Garrett GTA 1000 (recently deceased)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So my Garrett GTA 1000 just crapped out after 20ish years of faithful service so now I’m in the market for a new machine. I’m thinking about the Garrett AT Pro or the Minelab Equinox 600.
I’m mainly interested in beach hunting with a bit of relic/coin hunting thrown in for good measure; realistically I’m thinking 75/25 wet vs dry hunting.

I’ve never seen nor held either one of these detectors, everything I know about them is purely through the online research I’ve done. There are several used AT Pro’s for sale within a two to three hour driving distance so getting to see/hold one wouldn’t be that big of a deal. To date, I’ve been unable to locate a 600 within a five to six hour drive (I have found an 800 about three hours away). The used AT Pro’s are in the $425-$500 range and online the 600 is $650. I don’t mind used. I really would like to see/hold both of them before I make a decision.

I’m leaning towards the 600 as it appears to do a bit better in the water. The money difference isn’t that big of a deal.

What would y’all do if you were in my shoes?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox 600 blows the AT Pro away on the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread