whats best and for how long (greedy minelab ? )

treasurehunter1957

Apr 9, 2020
hampshire united kingdom
Detector(s) used
minelab ctx3030 , minelab sovereign gt.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hi all as a regular ctx3030 user with a sovereign back up machine i have been toying with the idea of upgrading to a newer minelab machine with more up to date processor , but now minelab came out back in last august about the manticore being the best all round machine and then coming out later on with the equinox 900 and now there is a rumour that minelab are getting ready to bring out another machine to replace the ctx 3030 , where is this merry go round going to end for the loyal minelab users , after all a lot of my fellow beach detectorist jumped on the band wagon with the equinox 800 and now feel cheated by minelab , i knew that the equinox had leakage problems and i hope that the new machines are better sealed , has any compared the 900 against the manticore and what were there findings
secondly does it pay to me hang on another 18-24 months for the next machine to replace the ctx3030 , are minelab taking advantage of detectorist and just being greedy , please reply with your opinions and suggestions.

ps happy new year 2023 .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why you say they are greedy, the Equinox was released 5 years ago in Dec 2017, and the CTX3030 was released over 10.5 years ago in May 2012.

I own both CTX3030 and an Equinox and do not feel cheated by any means, they are both still great detectors as are my Excaliburs.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The release of the 700 & 900 & the manticore all within a short period of time seems too overwhelming in really knowing what to pick.
I'm sure some will need 1 or 2 of every model just to say they do.
Then there will be the ones that believe that a certain model will find the elusive bucket lister.
Though seriously they've really stepped up, and threw a lot of stuff onto the market in hopes of drowning out a few competitors.
Will that strategy work :dontknow:
Just spent $2600 on a machine/headphones so there's no wish list for me on the radar.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last machine was $1400 with all the toys and accessories with it this past spring. I figure it's good for years to come. There is only so much any machine will ever do, so my best advice is to (if its even possible anymore) try a new machine before you buy one. See which one you like best, doesn't matter which manufacturer.

Multifrequency was the latest big cat's meow, now a lot of manufacturers have that. There are some places multi simply won't work, like around power lines. I know by first hand experience.

The next big deal? I don't know but don't expect it soon. Right now the folks that manufacture machines are basically just "redecorating the cake" so to speak.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been swinging my CTX almost exclusively since Memorial Day 2012, and I have an E-Trac as a backup. I have no desire to try out the Manticore or the New 'Noxen at this time. If my CTX where to tragically die, I would probably buy another one. There have been rumors about a CTX replacement for years, but the machine was so far ahead of its time when released that even the newest multi-yahoo machines don't match it on target identification at depth. I would be happy to see Minelab try to replicate that but with a faster, modern processor and speedier target separation.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since when is having and giving you many options being greedy?

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swapped my CTX with 3 coils, shafts, 2 wireless modules, 2 chargers, and several rechargeable batteries for a new Deus 2 with 2 coils. To me, just MHO, the CTX is light years ahead of almost all detectors in target id. The Deus cannot carry the CTX machines water on VDI! I am 80 so I have a finite amount of 'digs' left in me and I want to know what I am digging! The Deus is a backup to the 800 and I just got a 900. To me, the 900 is really jumpy (most likely I dont have the sensitivity, reactivity and iron bias set up quite right). And NO, Minelab is not greedy to produce a better machine, that is called progress. Otherwise we would all be using witching wand detectors and riding horse drawn buggies!

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As technologies advance, manufacturers that don't keep up won't last long.

If the technology becomes available tomorrow to accurately identify gold, and a company doesn't immediately start development of a new model with that technology--even if that company just launched a new machine the month before--they will quickly lose market share.

I don't consider this greed. I consider it necessary.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What I need is the free time and quality new detecting spots, and my Deus 2 w/9”/11” coils will serve me long into the future. I’d be lying if I said I have no interest in getting new equip. In fact I ordered a Legend on Christmas Day but canceled it next day. I need to focus on what I’ve got which is excellent and just go out and detect and seek out new permissions and research and scope out new locations. This will ultimately be more rewarding than an expensive new machine.

dflan83

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab did not suddenly obsolete your current machines with the manticore or the 900. I have a ctx as well as an eq 600 and prefer the ctx hands down on the land. For old deep coins nothing stands against fbs.

The mantice may be a step in the direction of 2d discrim but from what I have seen so far it cannot match the stable tid that is achieved by the fbs machines.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What I need is the free time and quality new detecting spots, and my Deus 2 w/9”/11” coils will serve me long into the future. I’d be lying if I said I have no interest in getting new equip. In fact I ordered a Legend on Christmas Day but canceled it next day. I need to focus on what I’ve got which is excellent and just go out and detect and seek out new permissions and research and scope out new locations. This will ultimately be more rewarding than an expensive new machine.
Let me know if you find a manufacturer of the "Free Time" machine.
The deus ll opened up the hard hit sites over the Deus l but there's a limit on how many targets there are and the time spent on getting a keeper.
Good to test out the new machine though on the hard hit places.
Come spring it will be another round of door knocks-widen the search area.
Have a (newer)multi site-thousand acre permission that will give up the keepers but it's still a 1.5 hr trek over to the site.

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lately I've been only half joking that the Manticore might be obsolete by the time it arrives on my doorstep. I have had to periodically contact my dealer, who has been sitting on my 16 C notes since Oct. 1st, to remind them not abuse my cash and to avoid Ponzi schemes and Bitcoin investments. (They literally would not engage my chat yesterday about where I was standing in line regarding my order. I was around 100 or so deep just at my dealer).

Minelab obviously wanted to stop the exodus to XP and you have to congratulate them for probably being successful to some degree. This holiday season they held back stock on the new developments to clear the closets of old merchandise. My argument has been that ML should work to fill those Manticore orders first and bag up that cash. All of sudden in December we are told to prepare for a new announcement about lightning striking twice. Turned out this was double speak for the 700 & 900 rollouts. ML wanted to lock up three tiers of the market. I feel like I got pyrite in my stocking.

I've swung the 800 for three years and hopefully will someday swing the Manticore. But I'm not going to eat at an Outback Steakhouse again, drink Fosters, no vegemite, no listening to Men at Work, or watch the Mad Max movies again. And it's not a barbie, it's a barbecue.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lately I've been only half joking that the Manticore might be obsolete by the time it arrives on my doorstep. I have had to periodically contact my dealer, who has been sitting on my 16 C notes since Oct. 1st, to remind them not abuse my cash and to avoid Ponzi schemes and Bitcoin investments. (They literally would not engage my chat yesterday about where I was standing in line regarding my order. I was around 100 or so deep just at my dealer).

Minelab obviously wanted to stop the exodus to XP and you have to congratulate them for probably being successful to some degree. This holiday season they held back stock on the new developments to clear the closets of old merchandise. My argument has been that ML should work to fill those Manticore orders first and bag up that cash. All of sudden in December we are told to prepare for a new announcement about lightning striking twice. Turned out this was double speak for the 700 & 900 rollouts. ML wanted to lock up three tiers of the market. I feel like I got pyrite in my stocking.

I've swung the 800 for three years and hopefully will someday swing the Manticore. But I'm not going to eat at an Outback Steakhouse again, drink Fosters, no vegemite, no listening to Men at Work, or watch the Mad Max movies again. And it's not a barbie, it's a barbecue.
It takes a long time for Minelab to develop new detectors, the new Manticore has been in the works for about 3 years according to Minelab

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said it takes time and why would Minelab want to spit them out like sunflower seeds?

The Equinox was released 5 years ago, the CTX3030 was released in 2012.

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said it takes time and why would Minelab want to spit them out like sunflower seeds?

The Equinox was released 5 years ago, the CTX3030 was released in 2012.
Why is taking 3 to 5 years to develop a product a positive thing? The last thing I need is other sneaky people armed with Deus II discovering all the goodies at my secret cellar holes.

Today I reached a watershed moment after watching videos of Manticore vs. Nox 900. I decided to cancel the Manticore and go with the 900. I'm more of an audio vs. visual detectorist so the 2D might just be eye candy. I'm surrounded by beaches but never hunt them. I then go to my dealer's website, and the 900 is sold out! They had 2 earlier today. So is the Deus II! I started to think of the ways I will spend the extra 500 bucks, such as buying more power tools. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the detecting hobby. I get outside and have pretty developed pecs and trapezius muscle groups. But carpentry actually makes money for me and I can buy a lot of sunflower seeds.

This hobby is becoming too popular. I don't like all of this competition. Someone needs to develop metal detector signal jamming technology. A solar powered beacon hidden in trees to pump out EMI.

I'm getting old and crabby. Surrounded by people taking themselves too seriously. If you believe half of what I write I have a Manticore I will sell you.

But I'm serious about possibly switching my order to the 900. Wondering which line is longer. Probably a bunch of disgruntled Manticore defectors lining up. See how i feel tomorrow.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is taking 3 to 5 years to develop a product a positive thing? The last thing I need is other sneaky people armed with Deus II discovering all the goodies at my secret cellar holes.

Today I reached a watershed moment after watching videos of Manticore vs. Nox 900. I decided to cancel the Manticore and go with the 900. I'm more of an audio vs. visual detectorist so the 2D might just be eye candy. I'm surrounded by beaches but never hunt them. I then go to my dealer's website, and the 900 is sold out! They had 2 earlier today. So is the Deus II! I started to think of the ways I will spend the extra 500 bucks, such as buying more power tools. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the detecting hobby. I get outside and have pretty developed pecs and trapezius muscle groups. But carpentry actually makes money for me and I can buy a lot of sunflower seeds.

This hobby is becoming too popular. I don't like all of this competition. Someone needs to develop metal detector signal jamming technology. A solar powered beacon hidden in trees to pump out EMI.

I'm getting old and crabby. Surrounded by people taking themselves too seriously. If you believe half of what I write I have a Manticore I will sell you.

But I'm serious about possibly switching my order to the 900. Wondering which line is longer. Probably a bunch of disgruntled Manticore defectors lining up. See how i feel tomorrow.
Minelab said the release would be in early 2022, It is early January.

"Someone needs to develop metal detector signal jamming technology." It has already been developed, it is called and PI detector.🤣 there is also ship to shore antenna.:tongue3:

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab said the release would be in early 2022, It is early January.

"Someone needs to develop metal detector signal jamming technology." It has already been developed, it is called and PI detector.🤣 there is also ship to shore antenna.:tongue3:
Maybe it would have been better to wait and pump up the PR machine in December instead of using the same amount of time it takes to gestate a human embryo. Release the advertising Dingos when they actually had stock. Oh yeah, they wanted to lock up the competitors Christmas sales. It still is "early 2022" for now. The loosest spec on the entire machine.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it would have been better to wait and pump up the PR machine in December instead of using the same amount of time it takes to gestate a human embryo. Release the advertising Dingos when they actually had stock. Oh yeah, they wanted to lock up the competitors Christmas sales. It still is "early 2022" for now. The loosest spec on the entire machine.
Minelab has been doing it this way for over 20 years. If you don't want to wait you can always buy something else for now and wait.

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab has been doing it this way for over 20 years. If you don't want to wait you can always buy something else for now and wait.
Of course. But at the same time we can wish and hope the company improves its business model as its product line evolves. It's good for customers to share their perspectives and rate their buying experiences. That's a big reason why we are here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread