Broken knee
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Dec 12, 2009
- Messages
- 1,909
- Reaction score
- 785
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- in your back yard
- Detector(s) used
- excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
western mass.BioProfessor said:You don't say where you are. That makes a difference.
Daryl
A commonwealth pennyBioProfessor said:What was the hammered coin?
Daryl
thanks for the link, this one must be a die variety note the dots on top full round to oval right to left.allan said:
There are different variation of these buttons. As far as I know no one knows the exact use of the button but they are beleived to be patriotic. They date Rev war or just after and were all made by the French as far as I know. I dug a more common variety, stars and stripes with the snake around the edge of the button and got $200 for it years ago. So they are rare and valuable.Broken knee said:thanks for the link, this one must be a die variety note the dots on top full round to oval right to left.allan said:
the one in the link the dots are all rnd. if the pix they have are a copy this one must be very rare?
I've been messing with this stuff for a long time and have never seen one like that. I couldn't find it in any of the books I have either. I had to sell mine ( along with most everything else) otherwise I would still have it.johnnyi said:Except for the snake, it is the same style as many patriotic buttons of the Whig party. Albert does not list this variety which might suggest it is rare. You'll probably regret it someday if you sell it.
Or, you'll welcome it now because you need the cash!johnnyi said:Except for the snake, it is the same style as many patriotic buttons of the Whig party. Albert does not list this variety which might suggest it is rare. You'll probably regret it someday if you sell it.

I used to never sell anything. I gave tons of stuff away but wouldn't sell it. I waited until I didn't have a choice. It was hard but necessary. I had been digging for about 20 years and had not sold a thing. The one thing I do regret is not getting good pics of everything. I had a lot of rare once in a lifetime finds that I wish I had pictures of now.4-H said:Or, you'll welcome it now because you need the cash!johnnyi said:Except for the snake, it is the same style as many patriotic buttons of the Whig party. Albert does not list this variety which might suggest it is rare. You'll probably regret it someday if you sell it.![]()
vayank54 said:I used to never sell anything. I gave tons of stuff away but wouldn't sell it. I waited until I didn't have a choice. It was hard but necessary. I had been digging for about 20 years and had not sold a thing. The one thing I do regret is not getting good pics of everything. I had a lot of rare once in a lifetime finds that I wish I had pictures of now.4-H said:Or, you'll welcome it now because you need the cash!johnnyi said:Except for the snake, it is the same style as many patriotic buttons of the Whig party. Albert does not list this variety which might suggest it is rare. You'll probably regret it someday if you sell it.![]()
thanks every one, I really needed to know if i was going to Kick my self and hard but not this time.Broken knee said:I found this button in the same field as my friend's hammered coin.
thanks for any info Broken Knee. the size is 1"
Broken knee said:thanks every one, I really needed to know if i was going to Kick my self and hard but not this time.Broken knee said:I found this button in the same field as my friend's hammered coin.
thanks for any info Broken Knee. the size is 1"
I sold it for 700.00 i have only sold 2 other item's in 20 years of detecting one was an 1803 lg cent ? lg. date lg. fraction the other A 1800 draped bust dollar that was holed and probably worth more because the possibility of Indian trade silver connection?
any way if i can profit from my hobby why not. my wife always said this stuff has to be worth some thing. I told her it's junk good for looking at. I was so wrong. once again thanks, Broken Knee