whats my daughters arrowhead worth?

Lilyzmom

Feb 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whats my daughter's arrowhead worth?

Hello, my daughter found this arrowhead in our garden in Western Illinois. I haven't been able to find one like it online. Does anyone here recognize it? Camera(8).jpg

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, my daughter found this arrowhead in our garden in Western Illinois. I haven't been able to find one like it online. Does anyone here recognize it? View attachment 748485

That is a very nice find! :icon_thumright: You may want to post it in the North American Indian Forum. There are several from your area that can help.

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The value assigned to lithic projectiles is dependent on three factors: Rarity, Provenance (where it was found), and condition. If you were in Florida, I would say you have a Type of Newnan Point. Not very rare here in Florida, and it appears to be slightly chipped. That taken into account, I would say $10 - $15. More importantly than a dollar value is the AGE of the artifact. If it was a Florida point, a Newnan would be in the range of 3000 - 5400 years old. Keep it safe for her until she is older and mature enough to keep itsafe on her own. Here's a reference web page:
Newnan - LITHICS-Net

Itsmine

Apr 14, 2012
New Lenox, Il.
Detector(s) used
Garrets Coin Comander 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that's a gum wrapper your using for reference, then it looks like its 1/2 in long. I would think that it would be some kind of bird point, with it being that tiny. What's it made of? From the pic it looks like rose quartz. NEAT FIND!

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does look like a common design, but, as mentioned by others, there are many important factors. If it is made of quartz (which it does seem to be at a glance) then its makers probably considered it to be a "worker" point (my own term, not widely recognisable). I call it that because quartz is hard as hell to work by hand. The only real advantage to it is the fact that once you get the shape you want, it is really hard to chip or shatter it. The quartz point is like the carbide tip of the ancient world. So, it wouldn't have been made for display. It was made for use. The size makes sense for an arrow (not a dart, nor a spear), which would have been used for war or repeated hunting.

I don't think that cazisme's post was stupid. On federal land, disturbing or collecting that artifact is illegal. In the state of Georgia (where I live), it's effectively illegal to collect an archaeological artifact on any public land. Around here, you can only keep it if it's found on private land and you have written permission from the land owner which allows you to possess it. Some states are very strict about the fact that the state owns and controls everything, as is the federal government.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread