Whats my ODDs for this challenge?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What's my ODDs for this challenge?

Stopped at one of my branch banks this Saturday morning to pickup my dimes. I was greeted with open arms & a big hopeful smile. This branch no longer accepts loose coin to be machine counted, but will accept rolled coins. The senior vault teller says to me, "gee Mr DozerD, are we glad to see you. Just late Friday a customer brought in $3000. in rolled quarters that he says he has been saving for some time. Would you like to look at them, since we cannot send them back to the clearing house". They had sealed bagged them into $500 bags. I bought only one for now, and told them I'll check them out and if it at all looks promising that I will come back during the week for the rest of them. Maybe, just maybe there might be some AG, and who know what else? Or, is it a MASSIVE DUMP. I'll let you all know.

Upvote 0

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I'm betting massive dump, but hoping you strike silver! Even if you find only 1 silver, I'd strongly recommend going back Monday and cleaning them out.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy to say that it's not a complete skunk. The texture residue appearance on the coins seemed that they were stored for some time and developed a dusty look to them. After going thru about 45 of the fifty rolls, up pops a very white '64 rim among all those clads. What a pretty site that was, and the only one in the bag. There was about 6 Wisconsin but no EXTRA LEAF among them. I rerolled them, and will take back to the bank Monday to get bags #2&3 of the 6 total. Finding just one in this bag supports my hopes of more to come

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
get there before the courier & snag 'dem bags

No problem there, they can't turn them in & have to exhaust them up before ordering more qtr boxes. They DID SAY THAT THEY WILL HOLD THEM FOR "ME". I'll return my rerolled and buy two more bags of rolls.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bag #1: also forgot, besides the one '64 silver qtr, there was also an extra $1.50 in some over-stuffed rolls. So that guy must have been in a hurry to cash in his $3000 quarters. So I came out ahead two-fold.

Treasure Found

Greenie
Feb 14, 2015
St. Augustine
Detector(s) used
No
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it it will pay off, I love it when you know the people at the bank.

I went to my bank about 3 weeks ago and as always asked them if they had any unusual stuff come in (as I usually do) their answer. " we had someone bring in coins but a collector already went through them" <perk> Soooo I said " well can I take a look" and out came a W H O L E B U N C H of 1/2 dollars. they were all 40% silver 65 to 69. I purchased them at face and felt like a million bucks until the teller said we also have some dollar coins from the same person. . . . then I felt like 2 million :hello2: and all purchased at face value.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bag #2, 3, & 4
Took back bag #1, picked up #2&3. Checked out #2, no AG Silver, but $1.05 in overstuffed rolls. Took back #2, and picked up #4. Will most likely check out #3&4 tonight. The bank is VERY THANKFUL that I'm checking this large intake (now at $4000) of quarters, and that I am checking them for accurate quantity count, that way they can sell them to retail customers without ordering from coin supplier. They trust me to confirm that the quantity count is correct in each roll. Nice to be WANTED: I scratch their back, they scratch mine; favor for favor = SILVER, I hope.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bags 3 & 4: total skunks, not even any overages. Will take back to bank Wednesday and pickup bags 5&6. I feel that I've been DOOPED! But I'll continue and keep my word that I'll check them all, since they offered.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I didn't realize you were taking them back to the same branch you picked them up from. Glad it's working out for you (other than the relative lack of silver), but newer members should be aware that this tactic is almost always a bad idea.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
FT: I'm aware to what you are thinking, but since I really DON'T DO QUARTERS, and thinking that this might be a one time dump (maybe a collection of pocket change over years), what do I have to loose? I never order MWR quarters, if anything, these are all CWR's.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
FT: I'm aware to what you are thinking, but since I really DON'T DO QUARTERS, and thinking that this might be a one time dump (maybe a collection of pocket change over years), what do I have to loose? I never order MWR quarters, if anything, these are all CWR's.

Did I mention that they DO WANT THE CHECKED ROLLS BACK. Which is fine with me, technically not a DUMP since I marked the rolls that were checked, and doing them a favor in return so they don't have to order quarters for a while.

Wednesday: returned bags 3&4, picked up bags(rolls) 5&6. Maybe AG in these two?

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bags 5 & 6: searched and got SKUNKED again, returned to bank to get the final bag #7., maybe 7 is my lucky AG number. Can't believe that through six boxes/bags of quarters @$500 each, $3000, and yet only 1-64 to show for it. I should have known better from what everyone else says about quarters be extremely tuff to find, but I was just hoping that JUST THIS ONCE, some dream rolls. NOT THIS TIME.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with bag 7. Quarters may stink but you never know.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bag #7 was a skunk also, with NO overages either. 7bags, $3500., with only 1-silver. That really SUCKS, but I had to try since they were all CWR's. Maybe another time.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sucks but if you didn't search them all you would have always wondered if you left a big score back at that bank. At least now you have an answer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread