whats scaring my dog it nite???? plese help.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a whole array of sensory things that a dog can detect which humans cannot. Sounds with a frequency outside our hearing range can be a particular problem and things like electrical transformers are often to blame. The fact that it seems to start and end at particular times suggests that something electrical on a timer may be the culprit. Do you have anything like a porch light or garden illumination with a timer that's running off a transformer? The trouble is that even if you can trace what is causing the upset (whether electrical or not), there may be nothing you can do about it. It might not be originating in your own house, or be under your control. Do any of you immediate neighbour have those kinds of lights? Are there street lights which come on at that time?

One possible solution is to give your dog some reassurance training, supported by a reward. It's crucial that you show no signs of concern when your dog is upset, otherwise it may be mistaken that you are also upset by whatever your dog is sensing. Find a distinctive reassurance phrase you don't normally use with your dog... "hunky-dory", "A-OK" or whatever. As soon as your dog gets upset, together with a brief reassuring stroke to get attention, use the phrase in a matter-of-fact voice as a pretend acknowledgement that you can sense whatever the dog senses, but it doesn't bother you and the situation is under control. As soon as the dog quietens, even if only temporarily, offer a small tasty treat and repeat as necessary.

I would bet that in a matter of days, the dog will learn that there's nothing to be upset about and you can gradually withdraw the need to offer the treats.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not saying it's aliens, but have you seen any UFO's lately? I know I have, they're scary so I don't blame the dog. I saw one of the Tic-Tac UFO's recently, hovering over the East River, just as the Pentagon says, they're always over water or close to the coastal regions of this country. They have no externally observable moving parts and fly with no discernable propulsion source. I wonder if they make a noise, maybe nothing we can hear but perhaps the animals can.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Couple things I can think of that *might* radiate a high pitch would be fluorescent lights or a electronic bug zapper.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Do ultrasonic sounds hurt dogs?​

High-pitched ultrasonic sounds can very very loud and irritating to your dog and even have the potential to hurt their ears if they are powerful enough. If you do have something ultrasonic in your home, you can keep an eye on your dog’s behavior to watch for signs the sounds is bothering or annoying them.

Can Wi-Fi harm dogs?​

Effects of EMF on pets

The effects of EMF exposure may cause problems with behavior, digestion, sleep, and fertility, as well as your pets biological tissue, organs, vitamin, and mineral levels. In the worst cases, cancer and heart disease may also be attributed to EMF exposure.
source:

Ultrasonic sensors can be used in motion detection devices. Do you have a security system (indoor or outdoor motion device) that gets set on at the time this all starts? Or a floor cleaning robot with vacuum cleaner? Turn them off and see if problem stops.
If you cannot find cause - get a vet's opinion or suggestion, if you have not already done so. Good luck!

2Peas

May 26, 2014
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One night while walking my dog, he became so scared he wouldn't pass this one house up the block. So scared he pulled out of collar and ran home. I found out the next day that the owner who had 3 dogs had 1 put down that night at home.
For a few days my dog would not go near that home and would pull awY or to cross the road.
Maybe they see things we cant.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The effects of EMF exposure may cause problems with behavior, digestion, sleep, and fertility, as well as your pets biological tissue, organs, vitamin, and mineral levels. In the worst cases, cancer and heart disease may also be attributed to EMF exposure.

I WiFi network generally transmits at a maximum of 100mW at 2.4GHz.
This is less than 10% of the power your cell phone transmits, and the 2.4GHz (2,400,000,000 hz) is miles beyond the max high frequency a dog can hear. These fields will not cause harm.

The article just calls it "EMF exposure". Indeed, if you climb a cell tower, and park yourself in front of a transmitting microwave antenna, your day is not going to end well. Frequency and transmit power level play a huge part in determining if any specific field is dangerous to living tissue. What most people don't realize is that we are constantly surround by Electro-magnetic fields, especially when you live in a large city; they are unavoidable.

Have you checked to see if any of the neighbors dogs are reacting to unseen things around the same time?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'd leash her up and say come on buddy, let's take a walk about that time of an evening. Maybe she can direct you to the source. Hope you get it figured out.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
these are all great things to check out, thanks guys

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ghosts? I'm not a strong believer in them, but my cats will sometimes stare at the ceiling or a spot in my room, but there's nothing there! Freaks me out every time! Maybe they can see things we can't...
The little people! I had a cat that did these things. She would even talk to them. My wife and I just called them the little people.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Do ultrasonic sounds hurt dogs?​

High-pitched ultrasonic sounds can very very loud and irritating to your dog and even have the potential to hurt their ears if they are powerful enough. If you do have something ultrasonic in your home, you can keep an eye on your dog’s behavior to watch for signs the sounds is bothering or annoying them.

Can Wi-Fi harm dogs?​

Effects of EMF on pets

source:

Ultrasonic sensors can be used in motion detection devices. Do you have a security system (indoor or outdoor motion device) that gets set on at the time this all starts? Or a floor cleaning robot with vacuum cleaner? Turn them off and see if problem stops.
If you cannot find cause - get a vet's opinion or suggestion, if you have not already done so. Good luck!
I’ve had a dog nearby respond immediately to my pinpointer’s chirping! But that is audible sound too…….

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your dog knows thats when i pour my first mug of Rum.

Ok... ok.....
the first bigger mug of Rum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread