What's the best way to find old sites to metal detect I'm new to the hobby

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where you live but find an old map from the time period and match it up to today (google earth) - Look for markers that haven't changed much and look at your local gis for landowners and ask permission. - That's the basics in a nutshell.

Research old newspapers helps as well. PM me a location and for fun I'll see what I can dig up. HH and goodluck

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact your local historical society, visit your local/college libraries, visit old-timers, read back issues of local newspapers as eman said.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old maps, old photographs, old newspaper articles, etc..

Some of which can be found online (historic aerials is just one website but there are others). Visit your local library and go through their old newspaper collection. Some areas have historical societies and some of those have maps/stories that are available.

I've found that talking to older people (who lived in the area their entire lives) can lead to some very good prospects - old swimming holes, speakeasies, etc... Stuff that isn't likely to be on a map or mentioned in the local newspapers.

Find the old ball fields, the old hangouts where people congregated. The old-timers remember such things and they (generally) like talking about the past.

I grew up in the mid-west and know of all sorts of places with a lot of potential - swimming holes, long gone schools, old one-room schools, houses long gone, picnic areas, sledding areas, etc.. They were places that either still existed when I was a kid, or places that my elders spoke about. Memories get passed down - your elders will have some information that they gleaned from their elders.

Pay close attention as you drive around the area. Look for fruit trees, flowers, etc.. growing in areas not currently occupied. Look for broken pottery shards, glass, etc.. In the area I live (NJ) I look for the remnants of foundations and cellar holes. North and west of my area I'd look for rock walls and other similar signs of old occupation. In parts of the country it is still possible to see remnants of old wagon trails, and the areas where many of those wagons stopped along the way.

Look for places where people gathered and money was likely to be exchanged - old train depots, bars, dance halls, etc...

Good luck and have fun

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it ( an area of land)looks like it’s been undisturbed for a long time and is in a generally long occupied area, and is not off limits to detect, check it out. Great spots aren’t always obvious and often don’t show any solid evidence of a homesite.
Always keep looking for accessible land adjacent or nearby known old structures.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't live or die by researching old maps. Remember, people have been metal detecting for 50 years, so someone probably beat you to the maps at your local library or town hall. Sometimes the best way is to just start walking in the woods. Look for stone walls and cellar holes first. I've also found a lot of 1800's cabin sites just by wandering through the woods on public land. No evidence of a home, but I'll suddenly find a spot full of old square nails. That's when you know you've hit pay dirt.

Bottom line, there's no easy way to find the old stuff. Pay you dues and you'll eventually find a great spot.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Get a good GPS and without worry roam the woods looking for signs of past habitation. My best sites were found that way as there was no obvious visual indication I was on a homesite

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use old Plat Books to find out where the old homesteads, churches, and schools once sat in what are now farm fields. Ask the owner of the property, or the farmer if you can look around. Be sure to haul out all of your garbage and show them the garbage. They will appreciate it, as tractor tires are expensive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread