What's the most challenging thing you experienced in treasure hunt?

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hauling 35 lbs of rusty iron uphill for a half mile, across a half mile plateau, down hill 3/4 mile to my truck. Told myself -never again- but I did several more times in different locations.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A massive widow maker in 2015, took a full year of dedicated rehab to get back to where I could get at it again. But things like that, I believe, aren't the biggest challenges. I think the biggest challenges in most cases is one's own head. The loss of confidence, the lack of motivation, expectations that were to high, etc., etc. It's pretty easy to find reasons not to continue with the hobby, but just like those true treasures, a little harder to keep finding reasons to continue.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The heat. I can’t deal with it, I stop hunting here in Michigan right around early May, start back up around mid October.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to have my partner med vac out by chopper he was ok stopped him but not me.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellow hunters on a couple of occasions. Good finds can cause jealousy and make people act like jerks. Early on I found a small patch of old stuff and had a hunter “friend” that pretty much demanded I share the spot which I didn’t. On another occasion I mentioned a find and an area I was planning on searching further that day to someone I thought was a friend. I arrived to find this so called friend already there hunting.

Last edited:

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everytime I dig one of those "Gold" bottle caps. Heart races then breaks in .6489 seconds...

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, its Winter time in Illinois. I hunt as long as I can into the Winter, but sometimes chopping thru frozen ground is defeating. I just know when it's time to put the detector away for a few months and wait for late Winter - early Spring. Other than that, I really like Mackaydon's response. There's not much out there, that makes me want to stop digging.

OP
OP
C

claypile

Mar 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your responses. I had fun reading them.

Sure those jealous people are also hard to deal with. Keep them out of your circle if you can. It's not worth it to give up something we love for people who secretly wish us to fail.

Yes, the weather could really be a factor. Sometimes, waiting too long makes us lazy to get back. But hey, I agree that there's not enough reason to stop completely unless it's health problems of course.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but you asked...

My biggest challenge after over forty years of detecting is trying to understand how someone can think it's o'k to litter, i.e. throw crap on the ground every time they are outside! Maybe the can, bottle, candy and food manufacturer's should have put this on their products;

"IF YOU LIKE TO WALK AROUND KNEE DEEP IN CRAP, THROW THIS ON THE GROUND WHEN YOU'RE FINISHED WITH IT"! DON'T WORRY, THERE WILL BE SOMEBODY WITH A BRAIN THAT WILL PICK UP AFTER YOU!"

Now picture what happens when a litterbug gets a detector! Here's what happens to a park once these morons detect there and leave open holes and dug trash laying on the ground...

Detecting Sign.jpg

OP
OP
C

claypile

Mar 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a lot of people like that sadly, and I also wonder why they couldn't think about what they're doing. I mean, that's common sense. Though I guess it could be natural, too, to care less and maybe just think the world revolves around you. I know someone like this like he has no regard for people, animals, or anything at all. He would literally trash everything he comes across. He was sent to see a therapist cause his family thinks he's nuts. Has anyone of you had experience with therapists? Would it really help?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, but you asked...

My biggest challenge after over forty years of detecting is trying to understand how someone can think it's o'k to litter, i.e. throw crap on the ground every time they are outside! Maybe the can, bottle, candy and food manufacturer's should have put this on their products;

"IF YOU LIKE TO WALK AROUND KNEE DEEP IN CRAP, THROW THIS ON THE GROUND WHEN YOU'RE FINISHED WITH IT"! DON'T WORRY, THERE WILL BE SOMEBODY WITH A BRAIN THAT WILL PICK UP AFTER YOU!"

Now picture what happens when a litterbug gets a detector! Here's what happens to a park once these morons detect there and leave open holes and dug trash laying on the ground...

View attachment 1918820
Yeah Hamburg. Too close to Hell!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread