Whats Up With The Coinstar Finds?

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
What's Up With The Coinstar Finds?

After continuing to read about members posting about coinstar finds, I finally have to ask - Are you going up to these machines and simply digging your finger in the reject tray like I did to the pay phones when I was a kid? I know coinstar has a 8% or higher fee, so surely people are not actually using these to dump?

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Re: What's Up With The Coinstar Finds?

Ive never found anything, but when i try to i go up and act like im checking out the screen, and then quickly glance as im walking away. if there is something, then its yours, if not then walk.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

i check out the reject slot anytime I go to a place that has a coinstar or public type coin counting machine -- with my local coinstar machines I know that they kick out silver *coins (dimes , quarters) since it reads it as being the "wrong weight" --its set to accept only clad dimes and clad quarters(as being the right type weight. ) silver "weights wrong accord to the way its set . , also tokens and some foreign coins will also reject --some zinc cents and nickles as well at times if the machines being "fussy".

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100

I found $6.35 in clad in one yesterday.I have also found numerous foreign coins as well as 3 silver Roosevelts. Dont forget to look under the machine as well I filled a date in my wheat collection this week finding a Fine grade 1920 S under a coinstar.

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010

Never thought of pretending to check out the screen and scoping out reject tray.... I love it!! I will throw the plan into action later today.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I used one recently to dump some halves. I got Amazon certificates, so there was no fee (not all Coinstars have this option, so I had to travel a bit). It's not quite as good as cash, but I do all my shopping through Amazon. I'll spend them eventually (and know people who love getting Amazon gift certificates for their Birthday), so it all works out.

db23

Mar 18, 2011

All of the Coinstars near me are in grocery stores and the cart guys seem to own the reject trays... I was talking to one that was returning about $20 worth of soda cans/bottles he found around the parking lot, he said he checks the reject tray every time he walks by.

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010

I got 32.00 out of one the other day. No silver, but still nice. The tube was full of change when the teller did the bag. I asked if I could have it and he said ok. It shows you how much people get shorted.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea what's up. I have never found anything in the coinstar reject tray........Matt

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010

the coins never make the reject tray, there always stuck in the tube. got a 63 quarter today.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

I check out the coin star machines, there is no cover on the reject slot so you can glance in as you walk by. Tanner and I are having a contest to see who can find the most change in one year. Last year together we found $95.00 this included a $25 gift card and $25 in beer tickets that we found a festival and sold for $15. We bought a used pool table with our loot. Anyway back to the coin star question, the change we find goes toward this years contest. I did find a silver quarter and dime on one of the machines where you dump your coins in not the reject slot. I guess the customer could not get the coin star to take those pesky coins and they left them on the machine. Now I can not enter a super market without checking the machine. I have yet to find more silver.

Gordon and Tanner

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

treeslayer said:
the coins never make the reject tray, there always stuck in the tube. got a 63 quarter today.

Can you explain in detail?

I've never found the first coin in a Coinstar machine, except for 26 cents that some dude left on the top of the machine. He was dumping so fast and furiously that I guessed the change was stolen.

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

MentalUnrest said:
Never thought of pretending to check out the screen and scoping out reject tray.... I love it!! I will throw the plan into action later today.

That's what I do :laughing9:.Too date I've found 9 silver dimes, 3 war nickels,1 64 washington quater,wheat cents,foreign coins,plenty of clad.

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee

I always look in the Coinstar reject tray when I go into the grocery stores. So far not a single find. I have seen the shopping cart guys and bored cashiers walk over and check as well. Guess they need a hobby for when they're not busy :laughing7:

I have never seen anyone actually using those machines, but they must get used or they would be removed eventually.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treeslayer said:

What tube and how do you check it?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

psst * look inside the dump tray thru the holes into the catch pan below * see if there is any earrings or othe jewelry in the dump tray --often for some reason little jewelry items get mixed in with coins and when it gets dumping into the tray they slip thru the gating onto the catch pan below *** post type diamond earrings , gold and silver post type earring and even a thin gold necklace have been "spotted" in the dump tray "catch pan" by me in the past :icon_thumright: -- once seen --ask the folks to "fetch" your item for you from the machine :wink:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I found two Steel Nickels in MS condition at the same time in the reject tray at my Credit Union.... :headbang:

Took them to my coin shop I frequent to make sure they were real. Yup, and probably some of the best I have seen
was his comment....... :icon_thumright:

SpareTime

Greenie
May 5, 2011
Northern Il

ivan salis said:
psst * look inside the dump tray thru the holes into the catch pan below * see if there is any earrings or othe jewelry in the dump tray --often for some reason little jewelry items get mixed in with coins and when it gets dumping into the tray they slip thru the gating onto the catch pan below *** post type diamond earrings , gold and silver post type earring and even a thin gold necklace have been "spotted" in the dump tray "catch pan" by me in the past :icon_thumright: -- once seen --ask the folks to "fetch" your item for you from the machine :wink:

I asked the manager to "fetch" the two silver quartes in the catch pan...she said they don't service the machine.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

not steel nickles * us 1942 to 1945 --silver 35% war nickles -- there were steel core zinc coated "cents" in 1943 however .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

some places have a key to "clean the feed tube out" in case its magnet located inside the coin feed tube to the coin 'counter /sorter" clogs full of iron based debris & foreign steel based coins * thus blocking the machine from working -- (post 2000 canadian coins for exsample)

some sly manager ttype folks at various places have "caught on" and are the only ones that get to "clean out" :wink: or is that "clean up on" the machines

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions