What's new

What's your favorite "out of place" or "accidental" find?

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2017
Messages
1,597
Reaction score
3,492
Golden Thread
0
Location
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been hunting long but once when I was detecting a 1900 house I stumbled across relics from a homesite that later research showed to be active only from 1799 to early 1800s, I found a nice button and some musket balls there. Another time I was detecting an 1870 house and I didn't realize that it was just about on top of an old post office site from 1850 and I pulled a largie and flying eagle there. Anyway, what are your favorite finds that you would consider "accidental" or (at least until you did your research) "out of place"?
 
I got bored and metal detected a small woods near my house that had no historical activity that I know of. The woods was next to a house built in the 1950s. After 2 hours of finding old shotgun shells and fence wire I dug my first barber dime 1899 in good condition. I got excited and metal detected the woods for another 8 hours the next few days. I never found another coin or anything of value.
 
A modern silver wedding ring marked "Mexico" out of a Civil War camp. A newly dropped old gold coin off a modern and still in use beach. Both were big surprises. Two Confederate buttons out of a local farm, where little else was found.
 
Two days of hunting for a friend's lost piece of jewelry...
Day 1: 1787 Fugio Copper
Day 2: 1783 Nova Constellatio Copper
Day 3: Clad Quarter :laughing7:
 
It is said that "The Uncle Sam" is the largest diamond found in the United States...Though I am a firm believer that "The Tia Juana" is the largest found...Or at least I believe it to be the largest...At the time I was pretty drunk and some friends and myself were trouncing around near Reno, NV slamming beers and having fun...Anyhow...I found what I believe to be a IF color D diamond after peeing on it...If I had not stopped in that exact spot to relieve myself I would not be sharing this tale with ya'll...

Who can say if it truly was a large paragon diamond...The odds are against me that it was...They are supposedly a billion to one...So...If any of ya'll are prospecting near Reno, NV and you come across something that looks like clear glass...You should take a closer look at it...You may never know if anyone else has tossed it on the wayside believing it was a useless piece of glass...

Or you could do as I did and give it away to a Mackay School of mines alumnus and see what happens...Oh well...I still have not heard of anyone finding any such diamond in Nevada...Such is life...

Ed T ;)
 
Last edited:
Mine was a George Washington inaugural button. The site was colonial, but never even considered digging a GW button in southwest va, as it was the frontier here during that time. Also didn't know it was one until I got home and washed it in the sink and I was doing a happy dance for days!
 
A modern silver wedding ring marked "Mexico" out of a Civil War camp. A newly dropped old gold coin off a modern and still in use beach. Both were big surprises. Two Confederate buttons out of a local farm, where little else was found.
I think that pretty well tops my flying eagle story haha. Nice Smokey.
 
Beings I have been looking for a gold or silver or both filled treasure chest ever since I began detecting...

Everything I have found since day one has been... "out of place and accidental".

:P
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom