WHATZIT? gold plated with red gems! ~~*~SOLVED!!!!~*~~

M

MaineMartialArt

Found these a while back, anyone know? I am assuming the "gems" are glass although for the amount of wear on one, I would expect glass to be scratched or chipped much more, the "stones" are in quite good condition. They appear to match at first but as you can see one has engraving all the way around near the top and one is only engraved on every other stop. Bottom has a square opening like something fit in there, but it also looks like the items themselves were made to fit into something at the bottom. Any further description or pics needed just ask.

Thanks all - MMA

Attachments

• whatsit 010.jpg
    whatsit 010.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 545
  • whatsit 007.jpg
    whatsit 007.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 537
  • whatsit 008.jpg
    whatsit 008.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 538
  • whatsit 012.jpg
    whatsit 012.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 540
T

TreasureTales

Re: WHATZIT???? gold plated with red gems!

How long are they? What's the diameter of the end with the red stones? No markings whatsoever? The hole in the end is square? How deep?
Interesting things. Did you find them in the same place? If so, what type of place was it? Clues, we need some clues!!!!!

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Without knowing the size it's hard to determine what they could be. They remind me of phone dialers. When rotary phones were the norm, sometimes ladies used fancy items to stick into the holes in the dial instead of their fingers...saved their nail polish.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MaineMartialArt

Gosh I'm so sorry all, I usually remember about scale... I found one of these (the one in better condition) detecting a late 1800's homesite, not totally sure on years, but definitely not later than the 1920s. Still occupied, although the current owners have only lived there 5 years and know nothing about the previous owners, who were also not the originals. Found in a (mostly) quartz gravel bed which was part of a walkway close to the house. Was bouncing between gold and nickel on the Garrett in the field, and now it clearly reads in the pulltab/nickel/foil range. It was embedded in the hardpack under the 4-5 inches of gravel.

As soon as I saw it I thought about its twin, which was among my great-grandfathers stuff, could have been my great-grandmothers, but if it was she hadn't used it in a long time, although it is quite worn. She died when I was 21 and I never saw her or anyone even touch it in my lifetime. My Great-Grandfather was a SERIOUS conservationist, today many would say "packrat" but he just couldn't bear being wasteful, throwing anything away, or passing almost anything on the street without picking it up and taking it home. It was in a bowl or jar of miscellaneous items indicating it was in the "whatzit" category even to him, but I can't be certain on that. One of those things that has always been a mystery to me. It has been kicking around here for a while, I was beginning to think it was a rare item, maybe one of a kind until I found this other one last season, which is in much better condition. So here are some more pics with a standard size US bicentennial quarter thrown in for scale, as well as some totally overkill dimensions:

Stone ~ 8mm x 8mm round = 5/16th's inch, beveled top, faceted bottom. Bezel set, possibly glued also.
Overall weight ~ 7 grams = 1/4 ounce
Overall length ~ 3.5 centimeters. = Approx. 1 and 5/16th's inch.
Overall top ~ heavy one centimeter = 6.5/16th's inch
Overall bottom ~ 3mm = light 1/8th inch
Bottom socket ~ Square, 2mm = heavy 1/16th inch
Socket depth ~ approx. 4-5mm deep

Thanks again all - MMA

Attachments

• CLOSEwhatzit 013.jpg
    CLOSEwhatzit 013.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 530
  • CLOSEwhatzit 004.jpg
    CLOSEwhatzit 004.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 520
Upvote 0

Kansasippi

Nov 26, 2006
Delphos
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV,ML 18000,Tesoro Inca,Black Widows

The shank appears to be tapered, and that leads me to believe it fits into something or the shank held something. If I had to guess it would be something that would be used with makeup and I will further it to say the shank most probably had bristles in it to apply makeup.

It reminds me of what women use nowadays and is about the right size...

Nice find what ever it is.

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Do they have a hallmark or karat mark?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MaineMartialArt

Ant: I searched it all over both of them for some kind of mark, but I can't seem to find anything. It looks like they are maybe 14 or 18k plated over some kind of base metal, looks like maybe an alloy with lead and nickel, who knows what else. The mystery continues!

Kansasippi: Good observation, the shank is definitely tapered. I though the square socket at the bottom might be some other kind of attachment point but at 4-5mm is would seem to shallow (that is if both aren't all filled with dirt) to be for anything besides maybe some kind of attach point used during the manufacturing process. They definitely fit into something. The phone dialer idea from TreasureTales was a good thought, the more worn of the two (from my Great-Grandparents) seems to be worn most near the tip and all the way around. Of course this could also be from holding, like if they were used for some kind of makeup related item. They seem to be pretty ornate for a mens item, but I just don't know...

Thanks again for the time and brain power guys! - MMA

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I believe it is (they are) hat/lapel/scarf stick pin tops. Ironic that you would find a matching set... Obviously some quality control issues on this type. ;D

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MaineMartialArt

DCMatt, I originally thought it much be some kind of jewelry piece, hat or lapel pin would make sense as the shape/orientation is obviously meant to be seen from above. But it is odd that they were made to fit into something, it doesn't show any signs of having been welded or glued to anything, so it seems like it was made to slip in and out... -MMA

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

They remind me of the tops of fancy Victorian and Edwardian propelling pencils, similar to this one on eBay. That would also explain the plain, tapered end— and the square socket, which would fit onto the shaft of the propelling mechanism inside the pencil. Turning the jeweled knob extended or retracted the lead (or in some designs, rather than actually retracting it, allowed it to be pushed back into the pencil).
76a3_1.JPG 7631_1.JPG

Here's another one:
7a5f_1.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MaineMartialArt

Awesome lead! That's the most likely possibility yet. I am checking them out on Ebay right now. I am going to try and find some pen and pencil collecting sources. Maybe I can find the exact model. You're the man PBK.
Thanks-MMA

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It a watch key! The "loop" that attaches it to the chain is missing...

9.119_1.jpg

Sorry about the large picture.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Hey, that's pretty convincing, Matt! As you've pointed out, there doesn't appear to be any evidence of an attachment ring, which seems to be pretty much a standard feature on such keys— as shown in the examples below. Also, a matching pair seems a bit curious for watch keys. Nevertheless, it would appear that you've nailed it.

Well done!

5598.jpg f6_1.JPG Victorian-Watch-Key.gif

Upvote 0

Kansasippi

Nov 26, 2006
Delphos
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV,ML 18000,Tesoro Inca,Black Widows

Who woulda' thunk it? But that sure looks like the answer....

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Watch keys, very interesting. Good ID DCMatt. I'd never seen a watch key, until now!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MaineMartialArt

WOW! Matt it looks like you did nail it! That would explain the square socket shape at the "bottom" and the fact that the socket is so shallow. Also the was the bottom portion seems to made to fit into something... IT'S ALL SO CLEAR TO ME NOW!!! haha

I'm so excited! This has been a mystery to me for a long time and when I found the second one... it just baffled me even more. The "gem" on the one you posted has the exact same beveled look to it and it looks like the same type square socket at the bottom. The lack of a ring is odd, but maybe it was made for a small clock that was kept in the house as opposed to a watch? Just guessing there... Would be easy to lose one if they were meant to be carried around without attaching it to a chain, but maybe thats why one was on the ground... Although it was very close to the home.

Now that I look at them, there does appear to be a groove where the ring was at one time attached! It's perfectly round and smooth, and not ornamented in any way, probably why the one I found was lost and possibly why the one that was my great grandparents was relegated to the "miscellaneous junk" jar. The one that was theirs appears to have been used extensively and the dents at the end were odd. Now I see that the dents must have been caused by someone pulling the key out at an angle, like when I bend my car/house keys when I'm in a hurry. I think the grooves make this one a case closed! At least the ID part... LOL. Now to wonder why BOTH lost the ring entirely?!?!? cheaply made rings maybe?

Thank you Matt for solving this mystery! Thanks PBK for the additional pictures, and thanks to everyone else for their time and effort. The one key being part of my family history really makes this a special case for me, it means a lot to know what these mystery items are. I wonder if a watch expert would know if they belong to a particular watch brand or model, or if they are generic? More research to do! At least I know what avenue to go down now.

Another whatzit mystery solved on Tnet! AWESOME! -MMA

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MaineMartialArt

Just found out my Great-Grandfather owned a pocket watch which is now in the possesion of my uncle, Can't wait to find out if one of these keys goes with it! -MMA

Thanks again Matt, and all. - MMA

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Wow MMA, that would be great if your uncle gives you the watch to go with the watch key. OR, you gave him one of the keys so the watch could be wound. Either way, it's always cool when things come together. Congrats.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread